Project ALS Opens Stem Cell Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike27

Distinguished member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
280
Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
Here's a good article. Very exciting!

Project A.L.S. Opens Privately-Funded Stem Cell Research Laboratory, The First To Focus Exclusively On ALS And Related Diseases.

The Project A.L.S./Jenifer Estess Laboratory for Stem Cell Research (Project A.L.S. Lab) is a joint venture between Project A.L.S. and Columbia University. Based in New York, the Project A.L.S. Lab does not accept federal funding and has an "open-door" policy that encourages Project A.L.S.-funded stem cell researchers and collaborators from Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, the Salk Institute, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, and other New York-based institutions to collaborate with Columbia University- based scientists and clinicians.

For more information:

http://www.laboratorynetwork.com/read/sp20060516/613471

Cheers!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Barbie4

Distinguished member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
139
Country
CA
State
Ontario
interesting

Thanks for posting that article. I am very interested in what stem cells have to offer.
Has anyone tried stem cell therapy? I have heard that some people travel to China and Mexico to have this done.
Any comments or thoughts?

Barb :)
 

Al

Legendary member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
7,960
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
From what I have seen the treatments in China at a cost of $30,000 US don't work. There is never any follow up and most I have seen have had only short term improvement. Most of the people that have had it don't post much information after about 3 months. There are some links in old posts to read up on some people that have gone for it.
 

TBear

Distinguished member
Joined
Nov 4, 2003
Messages
430
Country
CA
State
ON
Has anyone heard from the Sunnybrooke trial from last year? From my recollections a woman from Ajax was involved (Betty?) .
T
 

Beebe

Distinguished member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
319
Diagnosis
4/2006
Country
oce
State
new jersey
Mike27 stem cell

Hi Mike, Thank you for the article on stem cell. Yesterday we went to Drexall Univ. Hospital in Philadelphia. They have a great ALS support group there ! Jack, My daughter Stephanie and Ruth Jack's Mom and I were there for 5 hours. We know there isn't a cure but we have HOPE with all the research finally coming out. We talked about stem cell sounds good. We can't just go home and lie down we have to think positive and support of family and friends is a plus. We cry we laugh and we go on one day at a time. How old are you and when were you diagnosed? My best to you, Beebe
 

Al

Legendary member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
7,960
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
It was DebbieD I believe and she was from Ajax or Whitby. I haven't heard or seen anything about her in quite a while. I have clinic next Tues. I'll try to remember to inquire about that trial.
 

Mike27

Distinguished member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
280
Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
Beebe said:
Hi Mike, Thank you for the article on stem cell. Yesterday we went to Drexall Univ. Hospital in Philadelphia. They have a great ALS support group there ! Jack, My daughter Stephanie and Ruth Jack's Mom and I were there for 5 hours. We know there isn't a cure but we have HOPE with all the research finally coming out. We talked about stem cell sounds good. We can't just go home and lie down we have to think positive and support of family and friends is a plus. We cry we laugh and we go on one day at a time. How old are you and when were you diagnosed? My best to you, Beebe
You have a great attitude Beebe! Giving up is not in my creed either, or those on this forum! (Otherwise we wouldn't be here trying to figure out this damned disease)
I'm 42 and diagnoseded in '93, though I can now see that I had symptoms before that.

Keep on keepin' on!
 

Jennifer

New member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
3
Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
Hello All:

This would certainly be very exciting if they had some sort of proof that there was some significant improvement, I have tried the Chinese medicine (scorpions, centipedes) tasted awful and didn't do a thing. I tried the laser treatement on the back of my skull and it didn't do anything, tried acuptunture still nothing so if this would help I would be game.

Would love to hear what the doctor's have to say about this.

Thanks for the posting and replies.

Jennifer
 

Mike27

Distinguished member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
280
Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
Jennifer said:
Hello All:

This would certainly be very exciting if they had some sort of proof that there was some significant improvement, I have tried the Chinese medicine (scorpions, centipedes) tasted awful and didn't do a thing. I tried the laser treatement on the back of my skull and it didn't do anything, tried acuptunture still nothing so if this would help I would be game.

Would love to hear what the doctor's have to say about this.

Thanks for the posting and replies.

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,
I totally agree! I wish there were proof as well, but they have to start somewhere.
I think collabritive(sp?) research between Columbia U, John Hopkins, Harvard et al is a good place to start!

I did the Chinese medicine thing too...blech!

Cheers!
 

Jennifer

New member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
3
Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
Hi Mike:

You made me laugh....couldn't have said it any better myself and my whole house smelt so bad. I did notice at first that my tongue was able to stick out a bit but that was it I still could not talk after three months of drinking that stuff....

Well thank you for making me laugh, I needed it!

Take care,


Jennifer
 

Beebe

Distinguished member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
319
Diagnosis
4/2006
Country
oce
State
new jersey
about you

Hi Mike, You were diagnosed 13 years ago. How are you doing? What were your first symptoms and progression? Hope you don't mind me asking. Jack will ask me these questions. My son'in'law is like a son to me. He'll be 42 in June. Are you following a special diet organic foods, vitamins, etc. Hope to hear from you. My Best to you, Beebe
 

Mike27

Distinguished member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
280
Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
Beebe said:
Hi Mike, You were diagnosed 13 years ago. How are you doing? What were your first symptoms and progression? Hope you don't mind me asking. Jack will ask me these questions. My son'in'law is like a son to me. He'll be 42 in June. Are you following a special diet organic foods, vitamins, etc. Hope to hear from you. My Best to you, Beebe
Hi Beebe,
I don't follow any specific diet, I just try to add more protein, for muscle and try (try!) to cut down on sugars, white flour and crap like that.
I also take large amounts of vitamins C, E, beta carotene and a few others. I have a full list on my blog below. I'm going to start a glutathione IV procedure in a couple of weeks. My doctor thought it might be a good thing to do and the research shows, if nothing else, it will flush all the toxins out of my system that build up in the liver. No side effects.

Other than that, I don't really do anything entirely different.

If you need any other info, ask away!

Cheers and luck to you and Jack!

Edit note- my blog is listed on my 'personal profile' page.
 

Al

Legendary member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
7,960
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
Hey Mike. Did your doctor by any chance call it an IGG Infusion?
 

Mike27

Distinguished member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
280
Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
Al said:
Hey Mike. Did your doctor by any chance call it an IGG Infusion?
No. Is IGG the one for MMN?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top