Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
My mother had a really bad day yesterday. My father says that she cried off and on all day. It appears she is becoming unable to wipe herself when using the potty. This is the worst she has been emotionally so far. Pray for her and us because the real trials are now hitting hard and swift.:cry:

I ma so sorry, Kylissa. Loss of independance is so hard.

If I had a vote I'd say she deserves some anit-depressants but I guess I don't vote in your family, LOL.

kylisa, I am so sorry to hear about your dear Mom. I can imagine what you folks are going through. I am keeping the entire family in my prayers, and may God bless each one of you.

Irma

I am sorry your mom is taking it so hard! Sounds like it might be time to consider a TOTO Washlet seat for the toilet, they are amazing! If I did not have ALS I would still have one of these! There are many items like this that can make your moms life more enjoyable.

Lisa, is your mother getting any treatment for her emotional lability? That is a really hard part of ALS, and makes patients feel so helpless and vulnerable. Ask your mother's neuro about this. If she is able to get some relief from the emotional outbursts, it will help her a lot.

Joel's suggestion is a really good one, too. A good practical solution that will help your mom retain her dignity.

Praying for you all.

Today was even worse for her. Hospice came today and told her she was impacted and the nurse cleaned her out. That would be a horrible experience for anyone but, it was especially bad for her today. They have put her in adult diapers now and my father says that she has not been able to help support herself when he has helped her onto the potty. It seems that the next phase of loss has come. The hospice nurse doesn't think she is having major lability issues. Her crying doesn't happen out of the blue. It is always related to something at the moment. She doesn't have the senseless, crying and laughing outbursts described as emotional lability. :|

Oh, Lisa, I am so sorry for what your mother is going through. It sounds devastating. My prayers are with you all.

I am sorry your mom is taking it so hard! Sounds like it might be time to consider a TOTO Washlet seat for the toilet, they are amazing! If I did not have ALS I would still have one of these! There are many items like this that can make your moms life more enjoyable.

I agree 100%, the toto is a lifesaver, i couldnt be without!
RON

I agree 100%, the Toto is a lifesaver, i couldnt be without!
RON
Ditto Joel, Beth and Ron. The whole family will love it. PALS, CALS and anyone else.

Today was even worse for her. Hospice came today and told her she was impacted and the nurse cleaned her out. That would be a horrible experience for anyone but, it was especially bad for her today. They have put her in adult diapers now and my father says that she has not been able to help support herself when he has helped her onto the potty. It seems that the next phase of loss has come. The hospice nurse doesn't think she is having major lability issues. Her crying doesn't happen out of the blue. It is always related to something at the moment. She doesn't have the senseless, crying and laughing outbursts described as emotional lability. :|

Kylisa,
My hubby has ALS and although he doesn't have the senseless crying and laughing he does have more emotions than he has ever had before. They are more intense and he crys alot now. He used to say that he didn't have emotions and now he has them intensely and OFTEN!

KyLisa,

I am so sorry that this has happened to your Mom. I can only imagine not only the loss of independence but with such an intimate deed. I checked out the Toto Washlet website and it looks like a nice alternative, pricey though. I am hoping the Hospice nurse recommended a stool softener to help prevent impaction.

I will keep your Mom and your family in my prayers and send positive thoughts your way.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back