Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Has anyone had their neurologist ask you for permission to do progressive EMGs every three months even after he diagnosed you with definite ALS? If so did you receive an explanation why?

What would progressive EMGs show?

(this is a question posed at dinner last night by someone in my local chapter who is has been in a wheelchair for nearly a year and now does not have the use of his arms.)

Dr Benatar has a study that is doing that. It would seem to be more of a research issue UNLESS it is a question of meeting criteria for probable vs possible by El Escorial. Legs only would technically be possible no matter how bad it is. Arms and legs would be probable. Definite is all 3 areas. And as I have said before I hate those classifications because you can be El Escorial possible when it is ALS for sure. I doubt this person was El Escorial definte more ALS for sure

Yes dr Henderson in Brisbane was doing something like this. Not sure if it was his study or the young dr working with him and not sure why. I did one and it wasn't a normal emg. They used different voltages but I can't remember if it started high or low and then it increased or decreased. I think it was to figure out rates of progression and patterns of progression and if they correlated with the type and site of onset eg. Hand or foot. Every thing around the time of diagnosis is a blur so can't be more precise

No, this guy is paralyzed in all four limbs and his letter said definite ALS. I read the letter. It was from Johns Hopkins. He can't even move his fingers and toes.

Unless it is for research, I cant imagine why they would want to do this.

I know I had quite a few during the year it took to go from "possible" to "probable" to "oh sh$$"

But I went to four different well known ALS centers and they all insisted on doing their own EMGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back