Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Hello,

First of all I'm so happy and impressed a forum like this exists. I'm so grateful to all who answer questions. My mom is 69 and has had trouble speaking for the past 6 months or so. Based on my the voicemails I have recorded of hers she had gotten a bit worse over time but not much. She is about 85% of what she was before when speaking. Has trouble with L, R, D, N type letters. Neurologist examined her and did a battery of tests that ruled out Myasthenia Gravis. Now comes the MRI and the Spinal Tap. Yesterday we found out the doctor suspects Bulbar palsy but had not told us. The primary care physician mentioned it casually and while my mom doesn't know what it means. I do. I've spent the last 12 hours reading all about lower motor neuron issues and all the types of reasons for bulbar palsy. I just spoke to a Neurologist friend of mine who told me to worry but not too much until we have the diagnostics etc.

My main question here is this. And I'm asking after 12 hours of not finding this anywhere else. I can not find a situation where someone had dysarthria and things ended well. My current hope (as a son) is that my mom has something that yes it may get worse but allow us to have her the rest of her natural life (her parents lived to be mid 80s). My mom had breast cancer 10 years ago and survived so it truly sucks to be here now even contemplating this. Has anyone here seen or heard of a situation like my mom's where the Dysarthria turns out to be something manageable over time and not something that leads to being unable to speak, then Dysphagia and then death. I can't find any stories online about slowly progressive dysarthria issues having to do with lower motor neuron issues. I know we don't know yet that is the case but I'm really wondering what others have seen.

Thank you so much
Armando.-

There are lots of possible non-fatal causes for dysarthria besides MND, from infections to stroke/slow bleed/clot, diabetes to Parkinson's, tumors to toxins. She is probably too old to worry about primary myopathies. Google ddx dysarthria. Since I don't know all of what's been eliminated, it's hard to prognosticate.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for that Laurie. I've been reading the results of the ddx dysarthria google and its good to know its not all leading down the path of ALS. After googling her symptoms and reading all over the place the search engines took me to ALS/ progressive Bulbar Palsy every time. Now I also know about Isolated bulbar palsy which can be 40% slower or so. We will keep going with all the tests until we get to figure out what is going on. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back