Diagnosis
Family
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
My MIL has had frequent bouts with nausea. I'm sure it could be a variety of other things, but am curious. She does have a Dr's appointment soon and will bring it up.

What type of symptoms would you get with the disease is affecting your stomach? Does it normally even? I haven't heard of saliva issues or swallowing yet. But that doesn't mean she isn't feeling them.

I found out the arms dropping is indeed happening more than usual. I know that dexterity is almost nonexistent. But the overall arm strength is there still.

I know that progressions can be so different for folks. But am curiuos what things I might keep my eye on occuring.

Thanks.

Hi Bujy,

I'm sorry to hear of your MIL. ALS does not usually affect the stomach, at least not in the manner you are describing. In my case, I do have gastroparesis, even though I occasionally have mild nausea, it is much more a case of bloating, and food just not digesting. There are fairly simple tests to check for stomach problems, whether or not they are related to her recent diagnosis.

fortunately (or not) stomach problems are fairly common in the general population, so doctors have a good bit of experience with it.

While she waits for her appointment, she might want to try taking prilosec otc and see if it helps, as it may be nausea related to too much acid.

good luck to you and your family. :)

Thanks for the reply..

When the disease moves on from the arms, how does it then tend to present itself? What symptoms should I be looking for?

She's getting rather upset and a bit confused about what to report and what not to report. So, if I know some signs and symptoms to look for, it might help her feel a bit better.

I told her that anything she's uncomfortable with to call her regular GP.. or the ALS centre. Wish I could get her on these forums for herself!

Exhaustion has been a huge issue though.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Hi Bujy. Is your MIL on Rilutek? I've heard some say it caused nausea. It could go anywhere from the arms. There is no way to tell. I had limb onset in 2002 and still don't have saliva or swallowing issues but know people that had that in six months. You just never know. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back