Progress in research around Familial ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep. this story has already been posted. but it's encouraging news. but you're right, it's "progress", not a "breakthrough" as articles are shouting - they might have to study this gene for another decade or so to get to more clues. I hope not. Regardless, it's good news.

Yes Dee, brendapals and I had already put a link to this..I found the one directly from Kings College Hopsital.
I was watching the news as always and hoping for it to be our turn for some GOOD news, like a cure...On the ITV news at 10, they said something like ...MAJOR Breakthrough in the treatment of MND.....then went to the break....I for one was sobbing with happiness as the way they announced it, it sounded like it was THE answer. We text all our family and told them to watch...then after the break we heard the truth about what the news was..so, more tears as we realised that we had had false hope. Dont get me wrong, every step is an important step forward. In fact I have put my name forward to the neuro dpartment and doctor involved in the breakthrough, they are also looking into stem cell treatment, and I have offered to be considered as a recipient IF they come up with treatment that way...My complaint is how the news people headlined this event, raising everyones hopes above the sky, to dash them back to the real reality.

I really do just get this great feeling that they're on the verge of something tremendous. I think the next 2-3 years are going to be pretty exciting, hopeful times. All of these little (depends on your definition of "little", I guess ha.) discoveries will logically lead to something effective. Hopefully soon.

Glen, great link, I wonder what he would be saying now about stem cell treatment, if the science has moved on much,,,,maybe that will be the next breaking news. I know my mnd clinic neuro, who is heavily into research, has great hopes for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back