Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
Alaska
City
Anchorage
I couldn't find a forum for this. Seemed like the best place.

I can't get my Tobii PCEye to work well with my dad. It works great with myself, my wife with glasses, and someone else with glasses. It doesn't seem to "see" his eyes reliably with or without glasses. Originally I thought it might have to do with his body. I don't think eye tracking works with steven hawking for example…but then I compared a Tobii EyeX to the PCEeye Go and noticed that the cheap one is about twice as accurate when used by myself side by side!

This makes me believe that the lesser PCEye probably isn't working very well with him either!

We have a really old Windows XP Dynavox that someone gave us locally, but it doesn't work as well as these newer trackers. He needs one very soon because his single syllable days are almost over. In a past life he was a remote man and my mom is going crazy changing the channels for him in addition to all of the other ALS stuff she deals with. SHE really needs the eye tracking!:)

I really want to avoid spending a lot of money on a professional communicator. I'd prefer to make the PCEye Go work. It has windows accessibility software and is natively supported by the Grid. The EyeX can be made to work with the grid on a budget, but the gaze selection is a little better when Grid KNOWS that it is reading an eye tracker and not a mouse!

Does anyone here who has had problems getting eye tracking to work well on someone have any tips? Is it possible that some people just aren't compatible with eye tracking?

any anti-glare coating on glasses will cause an issue. Bi or Tri floccule glasses will mess it up as well. If he is on MEDICARE you have the Gleason Act that was passed and getting MEDICARE to pay for a full system should not be an issue (there is the 20% that can still be a big expense). I know the ours have been a life saver for us.

Do you use the eye tracking control when doing daily activities? How do you communicate when it isn't there?

my PALS in is currently not able to move any part of her body, except eyes and a very small turn of her head. She uses her Tobii I-15 all day for communications. When she is not able to use it, we have very little communication, mostly frustration on both our parts. It takes time to learn to use it properly and you will have many frustrations, but they are out weighed by the communication you get from the system. Learn and get use to it before it is your only means to communicate. Good luck.

Is it easy to tell when she is in distress or frustrated? That's the thing I worry about the most. It is easy to have something at the wrong angle, like the Trach tube or his arm, and he can let us know now. He was stubborn before ALS, and if anything has become more! Recently he had my mom order a filing cabinet that was 4-5 inches shallower…I guess because the shallower one reminds him of one he used 35 years ago. I can't imagine how frustrated he gets about the placement of his arms or body!

My mom and I joke with my dad that we can't tell when he is growling at us and when he is just breathing funny. He doesn't have a cuff (yet?) and there are a lot of noises that he/it can make, some of them I haven't because accustomed to as "normal" and not in pain. I think he can control it because when we talk about it he smiles and does it more.

Keeping with the thought that some of the difficulty might be with his glasses, see if you can match up a cheap pair of reading glasses (found in most any drugstore) with a strength that matches the recommended distance of your eye gaze device. That will at least help you to determine if the glasses are the obstacle that you're dealing with.

Jim

I understand that the EYE-X is the cheaper and very accurate system.
I prefer to use the freeware OptiKey instead of any Tobii software.

Very professional piece of software with flexible settings.

You might give it a try.

Udo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back