Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Cottonwood
Took my PAL (S-?) to the Prescott, AZ VA Hospital SCI clinic this week after waiting 6 weeks for appt. as they are designated as his primary. Scheduled for 2 hours but only got over one as "they" had scheduled another patient in his time. No doc, just a condescending Nurse Practitioner "who had SCI experience" what a waste! Contradicted his outside neurologist's report but was uninterested in seeing it. We did get referrals to other departments. Fortunately he has TriCare For Life so we're scheduled into a specialty clinic in Phoenix. When I told her we were going and asked her if they take recommendations made by outside clinics, her response was "only if we send you there"! Turns out our PVA had entered and canceled his request for additional comp based on loss of use of his hands.

Very, very frustrated.

Sherry

Re: Help from a Veteran please

Sherry,
I am so sorry to hear of your experience with the VA. So far I have no reason to complain but we are just beginning our journey as my PALS diagnosis is so new. We have a PVA rep that seems to be on top of things and I have to put my faith in him. I don't understand why your rep would cancel a request for additional compensation either.
Is there a VAMC with an ALS clinic close to you? We have one 6 miles away but we have to go 4 hours away to get to one with an ALS clinic but we both feel that it is worth it. We will also continue to go to the ALS clinic ran by a local hospital as well.
Please let me know how things go and we will be hoping it gets better.

Kaye

Sherry, email your PVA rep and ask for details. email=paper trail. let us know your results. seriously, this is no joke.

Max

oh, and get on mhe asap, then use secure nessaging -- sorry I'm having a bad typing day :-(

Sherry I pulled this out of the other thread so it would be better seen

Every Nurse Practitioner has a MD for a supervisor. Ask why there is no ALS clinic at your VAMC.

Call the national PVA.

Thanks guys/Gals,
We know not all VA Hospitals or PVAs are as good. This was our first visit to the hospital. Have the number of the regional PVA manager and will call Thursday (she was on vacation for a week and a holiday weekend so want to give her time to regroup). My husband did leave messages on Friday and sent a strong email as well. Promise, I will keep you all up to date.
Max,nodding understand your second post, sorry, know you're having a bad typing day.
Thanks all.

Sherry

Promised to get back to you. Called the PVA regional manager who was awesome and cleared up our confusion in 10 minutes where we had been attempting to get clarity for months. Turns out our PVA wasn't one at all, a receptionist running interference and without accurate training. Also called the Director of State chapter of PVAs. Very responsive. Talked to the Social Worker for SCI Clinic for much more help.

If you hit a wall, don't give up. Keep calling and going up the ladder until you get the help you need. Feeling supported by the PVA and Hospital now. Gosh this IS confusing when you start out. Especially when you can't get accurate info!

Thanks all, love this forum. We have learned so much.

Sherry

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back