Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Short history, I am a 41 year old male, healthy. Six years ago. I noticed muscle fasciculations on the muscles right around my right elbow, which seemed to be constant. I had an EMG done which showed slowing of nerve conduction around both elbows at the ulnar nerve and the neurologist diagnosed it as cubital tunnel syndrome of both elbows. I had surgery correcting both elbows. The EMG also showed left wrist carpal tunnel but was mild and thus never did anything to correct it. The neurologist also said no evidence of MND at that time. Though I did not really have any suspicion of ALS back then.

Approximately five weeks ago, my left abductor pollicis brevis began fasciculating and has continued since then. Typically lasting 5-20 seconds in duration before stopping for various lengths of time. Sometimes it stops for an hour or two, sometimes just 30-40 seconds, and then starts again. Just to reiterate, this began roughly the week of August 22nd and has been continuous since then. I have read the stickies on the forum here and realize that fasciculation alone does not necessarily mean ALS/MND. I have no clinical weakness. In fact, I am as strong as ever and I have never paid much attention to comparing the sizes of both thenar areas of my hands so I have no basis for comparison to say one is atrophied versus the other. I am troubled though, even though from what I have read from various sources that muscle fasciculations alone account for a very small percentage as a first symptom of what is already an extremely rare disease. Every time I feel like it has gone away, it pops back up. After five weeks, it is very very difficult to just 'not let it bother me.' When I try to forget about it, I can feel the muscle twitch and am reminded of the fact it has been constant for over a month. I suppose I am just looking for some third-party moral support before I visit my physician. Thank you.

I don't know what you think you have read, but doubt very much this is you. See a primary care clinician for reassurance and yes, if you get it, move on. Mg lotion, stretching, hydration, massage, heat, and/or PT (not to mention time) might help presuming no pathology.

Best,
Laurie

We can't really give moral support to someone who has not seen a doctor.
You read the sticky, it clearly states that twitching without clinical weakness means nothing in regards to ALS.
Just like you had issues corrected last time, go have this seen to and follow medical advice.
Let us know the results of a medical exam for sure.

I should rephrase - not moral support - as that is reserved for those with and caring for loved ones with ALS. Perhaps reassurance? Sorry, just have a bit of anxiety from all of this. Trying not to let Dr. Google take over my life.

My reply stands regardless - please see a doctor, we can't give anything further as you need a medical opinion, certainly not Google, nor strangers.

If you don't want Google to take over your life, go take a walk and stay off it. That is on you, and well within your power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back