Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
United Kingdom
City
Midlands
I am male, 40 years old and other than DVT following an ankle injury (3 yrs ago) have no particular medical history. I am active, non smoker, drink a bit too much, exercise etc...

I am probably making something out of nothing but these are my last 6 months, please excuse my intrusion but I just need to ask...

May 2008, sharp pains in my left shoulder usually associated with moving and getting out of bed, lasted a few months, thought nothing of it at the time.

Oct 2008, left elbow felt as though I had knocked / bruised it, the sort of sensation that would normally go after a few days but developed into what has been diagnosed as tennis elbow in both arms and an associated lack of, strength / reduction in strength in both arms, some days better some days worse but is still present to present day.

Dec 2008, Steroid injection in left elbow for tennis elbow, General pain in various muscle groups, front shoulders (deltoids) forearms, thighs (feels more like cramp / heavy legs) tender on the base of feet, aching wrist joints, aching knees. The forearm / deltoid pain / discomfort is what I would associate with muscle damage as though the muscles have been 'torn' and are re-growing but is a constant feeling.

Around the same time the 'famous' muscle twitches started, just about everywhere from time to time, forearms, lateral twitch of right thumb, inner bicep, right eyebrow, inner arch of feet, back of the knee. I can influence the twitches by rubbing them / moving the affected area and stop / reduce the twitches.

My left forearm is reduced in size (atrophy?) compared to the right, but could be attributed to the tennis elbow' being worse / present for longer in this arm?

Last few weeks, back of my throat feels 'strange' and can lead to gagging, not too bad I can reduce the problem with throat sweets, as this seems to numb the area and stop the symptoms. Worse if I am talking, but no problems swallowing, or speaking or tongue mobility. Some hoarseness, but my throat doesn't feel sore, but does look a little red / not sure.

I use my rowing machine most days in an attempt to prove to myself, it is nothing too serious, I can row 8km (36 mins) with very little discomfort, the muscular pains I have seem to be very specific i.e. when my arms are extended / straight.

I am not excessively tired or weak other than grip strength in my hands (tennis elbow?)

It is more the constant day to day draining affect these symptoms are having on me, speed reading can fit these symptoms to ALS (I am more accustomed to calling it MND in the UK) that have my mind over acting and thinking about this. It's just that it has been like a switch, I have gone from never having a specific physical problem / illness to 3 months of daily anxiety and I don't know why.

Once again, I apologize for wasting anybodies time, but I guess I need reassurance - "Go away and sort out what the problem is but it doesn't sound like ALS"

In my ramblings I have tried to present the facts in an unbiased manner

Thank you,

Spencer

I am from london so used to calling it mnd...does not sound like to me, but see your gp, if he/she has any thoughts that you have mnd, then you would get a fast referral to a neuro. See someone who can look at you and your body, quickest way for you to sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back