Other
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Choctaw
Hi all,

I last posted here in September of 2016. https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/35890-24-years-old-progressing-symptoms.html

I got a lot of feedback for my plethora of symptoms at that time which helped me calm down and assume something else was going on. I did eventually see a GP who referred me to a general neurologist, but I was stupid and wasn't adamant enough about making an appointment.

Unfortunately, my symptoms only got worse. Over the past few months I had noticed that my left leg/foot kept getting a little heavier and heavier, my entire left side getting generally weaker and that my tremors and fasciculations had gotten worse. I honestly had started to assume that I had something like Parkinson's disease because of the resting jaw tremor I have going on and because the pain in my left calf had gotten worse. Everything seemed to be going pretty slowly other than the increase in tremors. I would sometimes wake abruptly and feel my entire body tremor. I thought even if I had something wrong, that it was going really slowly and only affecting my left leg for the most part.

That all changed about a little over a week ago when I went for a run and a light workout at the gym. I did a light leg workout and ran about a mile before having to stop. I could barely pick up my left foot and for the first time my right leg was heavy. I've noticed that the fasciculations have also increased in my right leg along with the weakness. I walked home from the gym and cried. I haven't noticed the pain on my right side like I feel on my left -- not cramping, more of a deep, burning pain that waxes and wanes. I still have these weird sensations when I say certain words, those with "sh" or "juh" sounds don't come out right. I haven't slept well in a week. I can still walk relatively well, but I tire more easily than a couple weeks before. Too scared to do much of any physical activity.

One question: does the beginning of calf atrophy just look like the calf is smaller, or does the calf fail in little segments starting from the bottom? I have this little ridge/wedge of muscle right below my left calf.

I finally have an appointment with a neuromuscular neurologist on Thursday of this week. (Thank goodness for a cancellation or else I'd be waiting another month) I have only been seen by a couple of GPs up to this point. No real testing other than a clean blood workup. Hoping for the best, but it's hard to feel optimistic. I'll update after the appointment.

:/

I think or at least hope, you know that your symptoms point away from ALS. You have two days until your appointment. After seeing the neurologist, you should be relieved and be one step closer to finding out what is really happening.

Best wishes. I am quite certain that this forum will no longer be needed by you.

You still do not describe ALS. It doesn't present the way you describe. When you go for a run and trip because some muscle will not fire, feel free to come back. Until then being here just isn't healthy for you.
Vincent

I had my appointment today. Based on my EMG and neurological exam, the neuromuscular doc said it was incredibly unlikely if not impossible for me to have ALS as everything was normal. He did note that I had treatable essential tremor and that my story gave the impression of someone with severe anxiety problems. I still had more blood work done and am in the process of getting an MRI, but he highly suspects those will also come back negative.

I appreciate everyone's feedback up to this point. I'm sorry I wasted everyone's time and energy. I know I can never give that back. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back