Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
ky
City
Shelbyville
Hello everyone. I received some good news today and wanted to share with all of you.
I applied for disability and have been in limbo waiting for some news. Today, my case worker called to let me know I have been approved for SSI payments beginning immediately through presumptive eligibility. I cannot tell any of you how relieved I am to have some financial support. This is all new, stressful, and scary. Add financial stress on top and you have a very heavy load for one person to carry. Some of my load had been removed and I feel relieved. Thanks for listening/reading. I love this forum! Toni

Toni:

Are you by yourself? I live alone and am trying to determine how I am going to manage.

vmd said:
Toni:

Are you by yourself? I live alone and am trying to determine how I am going to manage.

I am not alone. Three years ago, my Father became ill with cancer. I moved in to help with his care and stayed after his passing. So, I live with my Mother. I cannot imagine being alone.....your situation breaks my heart. I pray every night for answers for you.
Get involved with your community action agency. They have alot of ideas for how to manage. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

That is good news, I just have started SSD after a 5 month waiting period and I am still waiting for my LTD from my job it's going on 8 months since I left work. I know being without a salary can makes things seem worse. Take Care, Rhonda

Toni:

Thank you for your prayers. I am not close to any community agency here in North Idaho, so I will try to find out the closest place for the ALS community. LTD is another issue I need to explore since I will probably require someone to come in when I am unable to care for myself.

vmd, did I miss something? I wasn't aware that you had a DX. I hope I am right and you are simply thinking ahead to what you will do if you are told you have ALS.

But if you have it, or are told you have it, we'll kick into action. A buch of us on this forum will google the nearest clinic, which will have a lot of support and assistance like services and loaner equipment and the like for you. And we'll get Leslie to write an article for your local paper-she should have graduated from journalism school by then-to get some community or church group to take on the emotional support of you and your daughter, and we'll email the Idaho helping agencies to see what they have to offer so you see, you really are not alone! Cindy

See folks. Some of you wondered why I picked Cindy to help us all out. One smart lady. God I'm glad I'm such a good judge of charachter. LOL . I'm not really laughing but just glad we have some of the finest people on earth here to help us all.
AL.

Cindy, Annmarie, Al and the rest:

Thank you all for your kindness and suggestions. I don't feel completely alone knowing you are all there to help. I contacted the nearest chapter of the ALS support foundation in Eastern Washington and will be in touch with them. My progression seems to be quite rapid, so I am taking all the preliminary steps to have my house in order.

This weekend I think I will try to forget my situation as much as possible and try to have some fun. The issue of facing a terminal illness came up in the class that I teach and I asked students what they would do if faced with a terminal illness or a long-term handicap. Most of them said they would fight the condition as much as they could. It was somewhat surrealistic leading the discussion knowing that this time the question for me is not entirely hypothetical.

Cindy - You're right on! I will always be willing and ready to help in any way I can. I sure hope I get to use this journalism degree to help as many people as I can! :-D

I HAVE BEEN VERY TOUCHED READING THROUGH THIS THREAD.
What an incredible group of people have congregated here!
Bless you all!

I am concerned for several PALS I know of that are all alone and I really hurt for them.
Is there not a care facility just for PALS? We need a home setup like a seniors care home, so PALS can have a place to come and be taken care of. It would also provide fellowship with others that understand this horrible ailment. Does this sound like something that could be worthwhile, or am I nuts?

One thing about having a Dx of ALS, or a big question mark hanging over your head, is that people tend to get their priorities in order real quick. I used to think if you don't have your health, you don't have anything worthwhile. Now I see that we can deal with anything, as long as we have friends and family. VMD, you are right to forget about your worrries this weekend and go make memories with your daughter. You and she may not need those memories for a long time, but as my favorite comedian Garison Keillor says, good memories with someone we love are like money in the bank for when we are ancient and living in the old folks home! Hugs all around! Cindy

Last edited:
Joel-interesting idea. Trouble is folks are scattered all over the world so they'd have to be willing to relocate. But someone like a Bill Gates or someone with deep pockets might like to take this project on. I see a lovely home in the tropics for PALS that have nobody to take care of them.:) Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back