Pressure ulcers. Bed sores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a great place to learn and examine new treatments. I was given desitin for the sore on my left butt cheek. It did help some. Repositioning I think did the most good, until the other cheek lost substance. I have tried every type of toilet seat cushion, but none provided much relief until I bought this gel seat cushion. It has been a well spent $100. I have started to get painful spots on the back of my heels and elbows when I wake up.

For many people these sores can be so painful I hope there is more that can be done.

We used zinc oxide on occasion (it can be drying, which isn't the best rx for protecting the skin) but more often the honey mentioned above, and also grapeseed extract ointment. Besides repositioning, we also lifted and massaged bony prominences and vulnerable areas such as the butt, away from whatever surface they were on.

When Larry could still use a shower chair, we used the Action [Gel] Commode Chair Pad. The same material is used in hospitals for positioning during surgeries.

For heel pain in bed, I would get pressure boots (Prevalon) and for elbow pressure points, rest the elbow at night on a small travel pillow, possibly combined with a foam block to also support the forearm. We also stabilized the hips/knees with foam belts. Larry only slept on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back