Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Orlando
We are getting more and more new members lately, sadly, that are recently diagnosed.

I know many people here already know this stuff, but hopefully, it will be of some use to the new people here.

Pressure sores, also known as decubitus ulcers or bed sores, are sores that are found at or near bony areas of the body.They happen when an area has too much pressure and blood can't circulate properly. They can normally be prevented--at least the more serious stages 3-4 are preventable with proper care and precautions.

There are 4 stages of bedsore:

Stage 1-- This stage is simple redness of the skin. The skin is not broken in this stage, and if the pressure is kept off the area until the redness goes away, a bedsore can be stopped in its tracks if caught at this stage.

Stage 2- In this stage, the first layer of skin is broken. Keeping the wound clean is important at this stage--it's also important to keep pressure off the area.

Stage 3- This stage means that the sore is working through the layers of skin. Infection risk is high. Usually, moist dressings are used, and a physician must be consulted.

Stage 4- This stage means that the sore is through all layers of skin and into muscle and even bone. This is the stage that increases the risk of serious infection that can spread throughout the body.(sepsis) It can take surgical intervention to treat sores at this level.

Stage 1 and 2 can usually be treated at home. Stage 3 and 4 are going to need more intervention. It takes weeks to months to heal a bedsore that reaches stage 3 or 4. And, they can get from stage 1 to stage 4 VERY QUICKLY.

How do we prevent them?

Anyone who is in a wheelchair should move around as much as possible every 15 minutes or so. The tailbone area and the shoulders should be checked regularly for signs of pressure sores. PALS should be moved carefully, so their skin is not being rubbed against surfaces. A good seat cushion is very important, and if a PAL is very thin, padding on the other bony areas that rest on the chair.

A PAL that spends most of his time in bed should be turned every two hours at a minimum. Also they will need some sort of special mattress--alternating pressure mattress pads can help. They work better than the egg crate mattress pads you might have seen in a hospital or nursing home.

To prevent sores on the heels, you can use something as simple as a cut out box to keep linens from pressing the heels into the mattress.

CALS can also get lambs wool pads for the heels and elbows.

Most bedsores can be STOPPED at stage 1 with proper care. Increased nutrition and hydration are important. Areas that are prone to bedsores can also be protected with pads. Even stage 2 bedsores can be treated relatively quickly with proper care.

Hi Ya'll

He touched on every topic except one (pun intended) try this product called PeriGuard.

I am lucky and somebody rubs this on my butt three times a day and it keeps the sores away !

Fight on,
Shane the Pain

Thanks Patty, valuable advice!

Ta, I didn't know any of that so it's good to be aware.

wanted to add that the older the patient is, the more likely they are to get sores because skin thins as we age. And if youve already have skin breakdown in an area, that area is in risk of other sores in the future.

what kind of pads should be used? The pads the home health agency are bringing out cost about $12 each on line for a 6x6! He might get 4 out of that one.

Calazime cream mixed with Strong's Skin Savvy is also good for the bottom too. My sis is bedfast and had a Stage 1 on her bottom. This mixture, along with rotating her from side to side fixed the problem.

Readily available and cheap, good old fashioned petroleum jelly works well as a barrier to protect skin from moisture.
Movement, changing positions frequently is key in avoiding pressure sores.

CJ you can buy one of the inexpensive egg crate pads from Wallyworld and cut it to protect the heels, elbows and buttock area--just something to provide extra padding in bony areas.

Definitely moving at least every 2 hours is key...preventing them is much easier than curing them. And, of course, never leave anyone on a bed that is at all wet--as it can lead to skin breakdown as well.

I totallly agree with the prevention is easier than curing statement! My PALS has had a very bad sore right on his tailbone for quite awhile now. At first he wouldnt let us lay him on his side, that is until the bad pain set in. I know I know- we should just do it anyway- but I allow my pals to make his own decisions. I make sure he is fully informed of what may happen, and of course he hears my side of it- very bluntly. But in the end, its his choice. I even went as far to tell him that bedsores can kill a person (they can) and that if he died because of a bedsore, after fighting this damn disease for nearly 10 years, I'd kick his dead ass! Anyways... so i took a picture of his sore and showed it to him. He nearly cried. And the pain has been excruciating. Thankfully he came to his senses and has been letting us roll him and prop him up with pillows and such. He still has it, but its FINALLY starting to heal. Ive also been treating it with DuoDerm gel and patches and trying to keep it clean. Long story short: Prevention is key here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back