Diagnosis
07/2020
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
I have had muscle twitching in my back particularly around mid spine area for over 3 weeks. Notice them clearly when I am sitting down against something or in bed at night. Have a very poor sleep over the last couple of weeks, either not being able to get to sleep or waking up to twitching and trying to get a position where I feel them less. Sometimes I feel the full muscle pull in and out in certain areas of back. I do have health anxiety And accept this could be due to this but this pulsating and twitching has me very concerned. How frequent does ALS present in the back like this? Thank you so much

It has not ever, that I know. I would check your mattress, pillow, work chair, etc. as lack of support can lead to your muscles doing strange things as they try to compensate. I see no reason to think about ALS. There are also core exercises to strengthen your abdominals and back. Finally, whether down to anxiety or any other reason, when your sleep is of low quality or difficult to ease into, that is its own issue and might be helped via counseling or a "ramp down/no screens/mindfulness exercise" kind of approach. There are many free guides on line.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for your reply. They seem to be most noticeable against a soft seat ( not when sitting upright away from back of chair like at the kitchen table) or when lie down. I find if I lie totally flat with the flattest or no pillow that that can help reduce the sensation enough to get me to sleep. I am listening to a meditation every night to help distract me & get to sleep & have recently started an anti depresssant ( the twitching was there before I started).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back