Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Steve has lost a lot of ability with his hands. When he does use them they cramp terribly. I have gotten him burritos and frozen dinners he likes, left him sandwiches etc because he does get up a couple hours before I get home and wants food. These packages are getting too difficult to open. Any suggestions on food ideas? I am thinking we may just be headed towards home health aid time.

DO you have meals on wheels there? I also think there is a group that donate time to stop by and feed the handicapped. What about fruit smoothies or milkshakes. You can make those ahead of time and put them in the freezer. Take them out before you leave and put in whatever mug he can use with a straw and in a place where he does not have to lift it. Do you have a group or list of friends that can donate a few minutes to come by and help him just with meals while you are at work?

Sorry to new at this to have many ideas but my Steve is also having issues with his hands and opening packages is very hard. I put things in baggies for him and it makes it a lot easier.

I do make smoothies and put those aside for him, fill juice cups, etc. But when he want something hot that is the problem. He can't open snapware or any plastic containers.

A couple of ideas, not sure what his abilities are -- cling wrap or foil loosely instead of a snapware lid, or a plastic or melamine plate on top of the bowl...does not need to be air-tight if just for the day...buy some of those microwavable but disposable (the newer compostable kind) takeout containers that are an easy flip to open? Also there are a lot of frozen foods, burritos and sandwiches included, that can be taken out of the packaging, including the wrap, and put into your snapware and then as above put something easy on top.

I have had to go with glasses, actually tervis cups with tops, because they aren't heavy and won't spill quickly. I have bought some compartment plates and containers with easy lids. His hands are just weak and can not open a can or a bottle, hold a stylus because he cramps, etc. If it isn't closed, he will drop it and if I am not here try to clean it. A disaster waiting to happen.

Laurie he can not cut food or anything really. He can get a burrito open with scissors. Today he said he couldn't reach anythin in the fridge anymore. I have been putting all his cups on a high door shelf. It wasn't working for him so he says we need to buy a new fridge I can access better. He had already figured out what he needed.

My husband is having similar issues. I rearranged the fridge shelves so that everything he would need while I am at work is at the front of the middle shelve. Target has a great cup that is perfect for him. It is a travel wine cup, so it is short but it has a lid with. Whole in that is perfect for a straw. I fill them up and put straws in so they are ready to go! We have neighbors stop in at a set time to see if he needs anything microwaved, etc. This is working for us for now, until the next loss hits us.
Tracy

I figured, Steph -- wasn't advocating anything that entails cutting. Lots of bite-sized concepts that you remove packaging/cut beforehand. Glad you are figuring out the frig.

I use a lot of ziplock bags. The zippered ones, cause my hand doesn't work very well. I can lay them down on a tray, and slide the zipper over with the palm of my hand, instead of my fingers. My friend opens cans and stuff and puts them in the bags for me. Works for anything not runny. We wash and reuse them to save on cost. Works for bread too, cause I can't seem to work those plastic clips and twist ties well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back