Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
SA
State
south australia
City
para hills adelaide
my daughter who is 29 has mnn . i would like to know if she can have children. are there any side effects while having treatment. can the baby be effected in any way. her doctor is not sure and has to do some reserch. please put our mind at rest

Hi and welcome. So sorry about your daughter but MMN does progress slowly so that is one good thing. What treatment will she be taking? If it is the IV IGG it may affect her immune system and that may not be good for the pregnancy. Possibly some other members have more experience with this treatment. They only tried it on me twice so I'm not as familiar as others may be.

AL.

Thanks AL for your input . My daughter is having Intravenous Immunoglobulin every 3 weeks it is called Intragam P . She has two conduction blocks in her right arm and muscle wastage . I did get onto a site where three women had babies while having treatment and their condition got worse but returned to the way they were after the pregnancy. It did not tell me if the babies were OK. Interesting though.

Pregnancy (latin graviditas) is the carrying of one or more offspring, known as a fetus or embryo, inside the uterus of a female. In a pregnancy, there can be multiple gestations, as in the case of twins or triplets. Human pregnancy is the most studied of all mammalian pregnancies. Obstetrics is the surgical field that studies and cares for high risk pregnancy. Midwifery is the non-surgical field that cares for pregnancy and pregnant women.

Useful information for a med student but not pertinent in an ALS/MND support group.

AL.

My husband Rick is a PALS. He is 61. Way back when, his mother was diagnosed with MS or maybe it was ALS back in the 40's. Her symptoms began after the birth of her first baby.

The doctor told the couple that if they wanted more children to "make hay while the sunshines" in other words, hurry and have them before the disease takes it's toll.

She did just that. She had her three babies within a span of less than 4 years.... my husband is the last one.

You will have to decide this for yourself so I will just give you the facts. The two older brothers are fine... just the usual things with now growing old.

But Rick had spinal meningitis during his first year of life. They didn't think he would live through it, but he did. He started having motor neuron symptoms during his 40s and now is diagnosed with ALS.

A pregnancy is not just to be considered for yourself, but for the child or children you may have. Familial ALS is a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back