12/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sunnyvale
Hi All,

I came across a 2-yr old (18th feb 2007) post in an orkut ALS/MND forum by someone whose Mother was diagnosed with MND. She mentioned that they are trying Homeopathic treatment. She also mentioned that the homeopathic treatment seems to have arrested the progress.

I sent her a message asking about her condition now 2years later and also which doctor they have been consulting with. She told me that for past two years her mother's condition has been stable with no progress at all. Her mother is not taking any other medicine.

They have been consulting with Dr. Prafull Vijayakar. He is in Mumbai and he is handling a different branch of homeopathy called Predictive Homeopathy. He is pretty big name in Homeopathy world and more details can be found at Google. I dont want to put any links here.

Anyway, we have become very hopeful after talking to her and we are trying to get an appointment from Dr. Prafull. His clinic is too busy these days but finally it seems we will be able to get an appointment soon. I have been following this forum very regularly ever since I joined and I have a feeling that most of the people do not believe in Homeopathic treatment (and consider it equivalent to placebo). I do not have any personal experience yet but still I thought I should share how I came to know about Dr. Prafull. I will keep posting our experiences on the forum.

-abhay

I'd be interested in how much it costs, what they are giving you, what's in it? I'm always amazed that these great treatments come from some country where only 10 % of the people have flush toilets. Not an indicator of much to a lot of people but makes me wonder. I look forward to hearing the answers to my questions abhay.

AL.

Al,

I expected this kind of reply but still felt I should post it. Anyway, I do not have all the details yet but will certainly post when I have it. From the clinic's website, it seems the cost is based on the duration of treatment and should be $200-$300 for one year. It is not a clinic specifically for MND but for all kinds of diseases. Out of 100 cases posted on the website one is MND. The other MND case I know about is the person I talked to. This is good enough for me to give it a try considering that my mother is in India.

BTW, India is not only about what we all saw in Slumdog Millionaire (great movie .. no doubt) but poverty and misery sells that why we see only that in movies such movies. Anyway, lets not talk about that here. I will post all the positive/negative information here.

-abhay

Homeopathy was what made us forcefully resign a pastor we had for 15 years at our church. His wife became suddenly sick and eventually became anorexic, had her healthy gall bladder out, and the doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with her. The family then followed a homeopathic diet with carrot juice etc. and became so looney that they just had to go.

I say hogwash. I'll read what you post, but I say hogwash for now

During my last appointment with the neuro, he quizzed me diligently regarding any use of herbs on my part. "Taking any herbal supplements?" I'm not. "Are you sure? None at all?" Nope. His reason for asking was, presumably, to ensure blood work wasn't being tainted or influenced.

I have piano clients that are in to marketing glyco whatchamacallits (some critics call these sugar pills) and other, assorted home remedies. I'm a constant target for people trying to get me on their programs.

I confess to having spent some money on this herb and that supplement in the past and have sinced decided to just take my vitamins like a good boy, drink my milk and eat my veggies. I will never stop loving and devouring bacon and eggs. I love a good pork steak and McDonald's fish sandwiches and fries. Like some refuse to give up smoking, I refuse to stop drinking coffee (I'm an addict...).

Marjorie, your posts are always a treat!

Zaphoon

Marjorie, I just love that expression "forcefully resign". I've never heard it before. Just wait abhay, I'll bet that the price they quote will end up being per month, not per year. They'll have some excuse that special ingredients are needed. Phone me, I'll tell you I've been cured. If they pay me too! Just because someone on the phone tells you they are better doesn't mean they are or that they ever had MND. Be careful. I do want to hear what happens but ask that you are truthful. Many have tried things and don't come back when they don't work. Usually just the sellers report good results.

AL.

abhay ... I have an open mind on this subject, and will be interested in what you report. My husband and I have tried many things in the past for his illnesses, and I found that some spices recommended in yoga classes for general health (cinnamon, tumeric) are now being touted by mainstream nutritionists as good antioxidents, etc. (Not to cure ALS ! ... but having some generally positive effects in the diet.)

(For the record, what didn't help for my husband's back pain and neurological problems were Chinese herbs and acupuncture, Western surgery and Western physical therapy. What did help was chiropracty and pain meds ... and, finally, a sound diagnosis with appropriate treatment for PD,)

I hope your mother's progression is slow. I, too, doubt that this will turn out to be a cure for ALS, but it would be wonderful if she could find some relief for some of her symptoms. Good luck.

I also have been told by those around me that I should consult a homeopathic practitioner because no one knows for sure what works and what doesn't work to ease progression or just some of the symptoms. Let's face it we all are on the path to the end. I would be very leary of something that promises any kind of cure because I believe that if there were a cure we would all know by now. But to try alternative forms of treatment, why not? I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on anything because if it is in nature it is not usually very expensive. I think you have to consult with a genuine homepathic practitioner who is interested in helping ease your pain or symptoms and not someone who is only interested in your wallet.
We talk about the cost involved with some treatments but realistically, have you all looked at you medical bills lately? Our bonavide doctors and clinics and hospitals charge astronomical fees only to tell us they can't do anything either. So, pick your poison I guess. If you feel you need to try alternative treatments, try them and report back to us. Sometimes i feel as though we are the only ones who really care about this anyway.
I did get the movie "Indestructible". Good Documentary of the life of an ALS patient searching for an answer.
NancyS

Thanks Beth/Nancy. I also have an open mind on this one and will certainly report back our experience. And I do believe that Dr. Prafull is a genuine homeopathic practitioner. He is more like an evangelist of "predictive homeopathy" and has written several books on the subject. I also came across several sites where other homeopathic doctors have discussed their results when they followed Dr. Prafull's charts and methods. Its all on google and anyone who is more interested can find it. I will only share our personal experiences here.

My mother went to this homeopathic clinic yesterday and has started their medication. We need to visit the clinic again in 2months. We paid total $80 for 2months medicines including $20 consulting fee. I will update again if we see any difference.

Just for an update: My mother visited the clinic again this week. We paid total $40 for fee and medicines for next two months. Next appointment is again in September. We haven't observed any noticeable difference yet in her speech. One positive thing that we have noticed is now her diet has improved compared to earlier.

Hi ... thanks for the update!

Does this means she is able to eat and swallow more easily, or is the diet the doctor prescribed a more healthful one?

The doctor hasn't prescribed any special diet for her. She is eating the same things she used to eat earlier and she still eats her food slowly. For example, earlier she would only eat one or two indian breads (Roti / Chapati) with vegies but now she eats three roties consistently.

Probably earlier she didn't feel like eating much because of the side effects of medicines. Other possibility is that we keep pushing her to eat well because thats what everyone recommends on this forum (thanks to all of you).

Well, that sounds like a positive development. Indian food is very healthy (and delicious), so keep pushing her to eat !

Wow, I wish and pray it would be that simple. There is truth that the body can heal it's self, but not always from everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back