PreDiabetes triggered by ALS or vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jethro

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
hello,
somehow i stil walk (with rolator). my legs under knee changed a color - they turned into violet. if you touch them, like you touched memory matress. mornings are extremly foggy, and my blood pressure is from 78/69 (mornings) - 150/90 (nights). i dont go to doctor. made a blood test incl glucose/ogtt. interesting. after 120min@75g glucose, my insulin is 561 pmol/l and glucose is 8.6.
this is my first time after 30 years to do such a test.
i guess it is triggered by als. have no idea was it higher or lower few months before. i'll check it again in a next few months.
has anybody here pre/diabetes/insulin resistency?
i dont go to dr., but i contact her via mail. she said "let it be" having in mind that i will be dead of als before i get metformin.
i lost 50 pounds, changed lifestyle (hehe i had to), but i can not do activity. so, how was my glucose before, i can only guess.
gurus, laurie...?

I would certainly pursue metformin ... you are still walking, after all, so no reason to think you will die tomorrow from ALS. And labile BP adds to the cardiovascular risk of diabetes...it may also reflect glucose swings. I would not want you to go into a coma just because your doc doesn't want to write a prescription -- is it so difficult there?

Of course, an HbA1c would be more reliable than a GTT. Is there a lab you can go to for that? Kidney function would be good to know also as it would influence possible antihypertensive medication choices, along with a full cardiovascular/metabolic panel.

If high glucose triggered ALS, there would be a lot more of it.

There are certainly cases where immobility/less exercise contributed to worsening diabetes. It has also worked in reverse due to changing eating abilities.

Meanwhile, don't know what you eat, but would certainly cut down on simple carbs, including fruit juices, starchy veg and such, as much as you can.

As breathing deteriorated my Chris developed blue colouring in the ankles and swelling in arms that sound similar.
Morning fog is often related to breathing too - do you wake with headaches?

@laurie, thanks for advice. i'll check hba1c also. doc said "it is not concerning (yet)". by now, havent heard that dead people were ever concerned. if i rewind my film, they started at the same time. i was 110kg, and i dropped to 79 in a 5 years, but since i am on if (may 2020), i'm 83+kg. i dint have support. my cals is ill, none even to talk to. alone in a condo... rock will melt into magma. hard to obtain anything.
@affected my breathing was 82% - fvc on 22.3.21., have no problems by now. spo2 is app 95, blood results are almost the same like 4 years ago (liver is much better since i lost 50 pounds!), never had a headache in my life. had chris also pre/DM?

no DM at all for Chris

I have the blue feet. Compression socks cleared up most of it. Cardiologist said I had Chronic Peripheral Venous Insufficiency, meaning the 16 valves in my legs were allowing blood to stay down too long, thus releasing iron into my skin.

I have High Blood Pressure and Diabetes and apparently don't take medical advice seriously enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back