Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
US
State
MS
City
Pelahatchie
I am picking up my powered chair, and one of the things to be decided is what driving array to get for when I lose limb function, which is rapidly approaching. I lost my right leg first, followed by a rapid decline of the left. I am rapidly losing ( to me) my right arm. Rapidly means since July of this year, I have lost most of the strength in it. I suspect it will be of little use by years end. The left is starting to show signs as well.

Based on this, how likely is it I lose neck function soon? I have driven a chair with the neck drive, but have not tried the puffer or chin steer...

I can't opine on your neck function, but I can tell you that I got my head controls in mid-June and I'm still able to use them, though they have caused a lot of pain in my neck. I was able to use the hand controls for over a year and now I'm coming up on six months with the head. I have the Stealth iDrive system, and I really wish I had done research and not blindly follow the rep's recommendation. There is no neck support, and the mechanisms are very sensitive so sometimes my hair will touch and cause errors. The Stealth rep told me to put my hair in a pony tail, which is impossible.

Mouz, odds are at some point you will outpace a head array, but no one can predict when. You might have a little finger, a cheek muscle, a toe that lasts a good while -- it only takes one muscle to operate a switch control. Of course, you will want to keep ahead of any changes needed if you want to maintain independent driving.

Of note, Numotion is now distributing the Microsoft/Gleason-developed Independence Drive: Eye Tracking Control System, used with a mounted tablet, another option to check out.

Nona, between Stealth and Active Controls options, there is definitely a way to provide neck support for you (or any other PALS!) with a head array and you should not be driving without it if you need it. I am emailing you a DME contact for your area that represents both companies. If she is not in your network, she can still suggest.

Best,
Laurie

Well, the decision was made for me at some point, and it came with a chin control...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back