Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
My dad has his PWC evaluation in about a week. I have read a number of threads on the issue. Is there anything you guys wish you knew in advance before you got a PWC? What extra features were worth it, or do you not use?

Would you get front or mid-wheel drive if you could go back to your first PWC? Do all PWC have the ability to hold an NIV and a Tobii eye gaze?

Also, the Team Gleason Rep recommended we look into a Quantum Stretto or a Sunrise Q300 as they are narrower. Anyone have experience with these? Are they as functional and comfortable as the full sized alternatives?

Thanks

I recommend searching here on threads by our PWC expert/glutton swalker - Steve is so knowledgable and truly has like 5 or 6 PWC, he just can't help himself 😂
he may even see this thread with luck

I'm up for a new PWC. I had a permobil f3 as my first chair. Ended up getting rid of it when I could no longer drive it. Traded it for a tilt in space Quickie manual chair. I'm going to try and get eye gaze control for my new chair and I'm interested in opinions on the Q300M also. Narrowness is good.
If you can get the seat elevator it's very useful for transfers (if he can still do) also good for high tables or bars at restaurants or just looking out the window.
I originally had a gel cushion. Extremely hot. I prefer air.
Permobil has an anterior tilt option. I would have liked that for using a plastic urinal. Also if he can still reach it helps.
That's about all I can think of. Good luck

I am not able to reply at length now, but here are a few thoughts.

Figure out what he will use a wheelchair for and get one that meets those anticipated needs. For me, that meant i needed a chair that performed well in rough terrain, but could also be used indoors.

Have him try out different models. If the don't have a variety of styles to demo, gi somewhere else!

I hate midwheel drive, but some folks love them.

I now need a Roho seat cushion, but really liked the foam one I started out with. Now I can only sit on foam for a few minutes before my bottom hurts.

All my chairs have seat elevate. I use it often.

Of all my chairs, my Permobil F5 is my favorite for everyday use. If i could have only one, it is the one I would pick.

Steve

I have 2 Quantum 6000 midwheel and I like them but I find them both hard to reverse on grassy surfaces.They are easy to control even at top speed. One was supplied free of charge by the ALS society.

Some options you will hear about are:
Seat elevator [yes or no]
Anterior tilt [different levels or none]
Seat cushion (ROHO unless a real reason not to go that way)

It is really your home environment and where you travel that determines whether front or mid-wheel drive is best. Your ATP should weigh in on this, but make sure s/he sees your home and grounds, even if in photos or video.

The seat elevator is worth paying for yourself if needed and you have the resources, but it should always be submitted for reimbursement, first. We did not use it a lot but when we did, it was really helpful.

Anterior tilt, I wish had been available then. I have seen a number of people use it since and it is often part of the default. The higher the angle you can get, the better, if only for pressure relief. For those who do not have it, though, seat recline can be helpful in using a male urinal.

Hello,

I worked as a sales rep for a mobility equipment company before being recruited as a care aide for a gentleman who has ALS. Please feel free to ask me any questions about PWC.

lgelb is correct though. You really want to look at your environment and find a chair that works best. Mid-wheel drive chairs are better for navigating small hallways, as well as narrow chairs. Rear wheel drive chairs are better for outdoor use and are usually more stable. Tilt is necessary, and permobil chairs usually have more anterior tilt (up to 10 degrees). Elevation is good, but not necessary. Feet elevation is nice to help with dealing with circulation issues.

Then after choosing your chair, you want to think about the backrest and cushion. Foam is more form fitting, but some find it hot. Gel is good for vibration dampening, and air is good for preventing pressure sores. It depends on what the PALS issues are - if the tailbone feels hot, then air (ROHO) or the Jay fluid inserts with cryogenic (cooling fluid) have worked out best for my PALS.

I hope that helps!

I have worked in the mobility industry also -- glad to see you here.

Elevating foot plates are essential. I would have mentioned those, along with tilt and recline, but I would hope any OT/PT/ATP worth the initials would include them in ALS by default. I suppose I shouldn't be that blasé.

Permobil chairs can be ordered with up to 45 degrees anterior tilt and 14" of seat elevation.

Last edited:
There are too many things to consider when getting a power chair to cover them here so I suggest Getting the right wheelchair for a person with ALS
It covers chair options as well as the process and paperwork needed to get a chair without denials and delays. You are on the right track by getting an evaluation, hopefully with both an occupational therapist who knows the paperwork and buzzwords to get approval and with the rep from the company who will be ordering the chair for you. Both need to be experienced with ALS patients and working through an ALSA or MDA clinic is advisable!

Thanks for all the good input. I don't need a PWC yet but am taking notes on pros and cons and must haves when the time comes. Very helpful.

Same here, I am following these PWC threads knowing that this mobility aid is forthcoming and soon. I have a scheduled assessment session with my ALS clinic late March.
Leg weakness is becoming evident and balance has been an issue. Using a walker now if my walk is about a mile long now. (Or some shopping experience, carry my seat with me that way.)

Why not try the ALS society, mine was fitted and supplied free of charge and maintained by them again free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back