Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Carrboro
my very limited experience so far has been that mobility scooters are way faster than power wheelchairs, but my experience with scooters was two different rental units, while the chair was one american legion loaner.
is this right? or maybe this chair needs a new battery?

Ahands-good to see a post from you

Having looked at your other posts, you and I seem to be progressing at roughly the same pace.

Power chair SHOULD go faster. Just got a Permobil c300. At top speed it can fly, much smoother ride than the Invacare ATM that the MDA bought for me, due to the bigger tires.

DH has both, he uses the power wheelchair Permobil C300 at home and the scooter at work, we just leave it there (not equipped to get chair in van yet). It's getting to where he has trouble maneuvering the scooter (handlbars) and turning them to go left or right. He really likes his wheelchair though, and I personally think it goes too fast at it's top settings!

I guess I should look into trying a new battery in this chair.

Having looked at your other posts, you and I seem to be progressing at roughly the same pace.

Thanks.

Wasn't there a new ALS registry recently established?
Shouldn't they be querying us for demographic info?
It would be interesting to see, e.g., if there was a surge in onset around 2005.

I'm about to turn 45, and it will be four years in March since the thenar muscle in my left thumb disappeared. Though my legs have recently weakened, and my left ankle is shot, its mostly my weak back and neck that prevent walking. My MRIs show some cervical spine damage, but the neuros dismiss that as a cause because I'm not in pain.

My Invacare TDX 5 will do 7.5 mph in 4th speed. That's plenty fast on anything less than perfectly smooth surfaces.

AL.

Thanks duplinwino,

Pittsboro eh?

I'm in Carrboro now, but was living in south Raleigh when this started.

I knew one other guy in Raleigh who developed ALS just a bit before me. He was about my age (early 40s). He was an outdoorsman. He died after about three years.

I've not been to any ALSA meetings--been scared to face other PALS I guess--you?

Al, you should trick that baby out with some flame decals and maybe a wheelie-bar!

I think I'll put a roll bar with some halogen flame-thrower lights and a sound system on mine.
Yep, an adjustable arm to hold the laptop, some cup holders and a built-in foot massager should round it out nicely.

ahands

is the thenar muscle on the inside of the thumb going down into the middle of the thumb and index finger?
this area has gone in my right hand and just a bit further up in the hand is a crater.
i noticed this earlier in the year after having weakness like not being able to press down hard enough on remotes and doing fiddley things.

i was going to see about getting a scooter as my upper body is too weak to use a manual chair,as i can still walk inside i can not have a power chair yet
.i would think there is not that much difference in speed but a good battery is important,dont want to get stranded anywhere.:)

I do have custom made wood shelf for left side, drinks food etc. another one for right side for mouse. Flashing red light for riding road at night(no sidewalks out here in country). Wife also sewed up a larger side pocket to carry glasses, phone etc.That's about as custom as I've got so far.

AL.

is the thenar muscle on the inside of the thumb going down into the middle of the thumb and index finger?

The thenar is the (normally) big ball of flesh on the palm between the thumb and wrist.

I think the web between thumb and index finger is a "dorsal" muscle.

Yeah that thumb-index web is really sunk on my hand too--makes the thumb look like another finger. But I'm pretty sure that I lost the thenar before that web.

i was going to see about getting a scooter as my upper body is too weak to use a manual chair,as i can still walk inside i can not have a power chair yet

from my limited experience, scooters require arm or shoulder strength to steer and thumb strength to throttle. chairs have joysticks, making steering and throttling easier for those of us with hand & arm problems.

i would think there is not that much difference in speed but a good battery is important,dont want to get stranded anywhere.:)

add a high-watt solar panel to my wish-list! :mrgreen:

Adrian, I didn't even notice your location. You're just a hop and a skip down the road (ok, 20 minutes). No, we haven't been to any support meetings, it is a long haul, but the local chapter has been wonderful!

...You're just a hop and a skip down the road (ok, 20 minutes)...

I lived in Raleigh 1996-2007. I've heard of (but not met) one other PALS in Carrboro, and knew one guy my age (mid 40s) in raleigh, http://tinyurl.com/mikeandrews, who developed ALS maybe about a year before me. he died last January. They tell me that the Duke clinic has over 300 PALS and is opening a new facility down east. I can't help but be curious about the demographics. Are there more in NC than probability would suggest? Did I bicycle too much by the shearon harris nuclear plant? mike and i were both from the deep south (tx and la).

Its my understanding that the u.s. congress recently approved funding for a "registry" but its not set up yet. i don't know if it will track such demographics or it will warehouse and distribute tissue, blood samples, dna, etc, or both.

I use a Invacare TDX SP, very comfortable and plenty quick enough. Seems very well built.

My Invacare TDX 5 will do 7.5 mph in 4th speed. That's plenty fast on anything less than perfectly smooth surfaces.

AL.

Hmmmm...the permobil c300 is only spec'ed at 5mph, which would be fine indoors but...

its amazing how speed that seems so painfully s-l-o-w outdoors feels so crazy fast as soon as you roll inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back