08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
They don't seem to mix.

My hubby has trouble fitting his PWC under most standard height tables (30"). He has a Permobil F3 with the elevate function, which seems to make the seat/arm height higher. Even if I lift the arms and bring them back behind him (which he doesn't like - since then he can't reach the controller) the top of his legs comes to 30" - so his legs will not fit due to the fact if there is a "slab" top, they're 2" thick, or if not the apron of the table lowers the allowable leg room.

I just ordered a custom made counter height table (36" high) for our kitchen. I had them cut part of the apron out so the arms of his chair could fit underneath. Then I remembered about the controller! It sticks up another 4" from the top of the arms. So now, I still have to lift the arm with the controller so that it will fit.

Two questions:

1) Do you have the same problems? What works for you?

2) Is there another controller/arm that will lower the controller so that it is the height of the arms? He is having trouble reaching the "flip" switches to control the mode and speed anyway.

Thanks for any input.

I had the same problem. It may be possible to roll the controller on its side when pulling under a table. There should be a little set screw or wingnut that will loosen the controller so it can turn when you need it to, but not make it so loose that it won't stay upright. That will get the joystick turned sideways and may be enough to get under your modified table. It worked for my old Invacare chair but may not be possible with newer controllers.

You'd think the engineers who designed chairs would think about something so basic. I can't seem to remember what my support group PALS do when we go out to restaurants but I'm thinking the ones who still have use of hands swing their wheelchair arms out and just sit stationary until their meal is over.

I had my kitchen Island reconfigured so I would be able to use my chair in there. I also had my end table base and the base of my nightstand raised and repainted so it isn't apparent.

A "midline mounting system" that basically puts the joystick on its own arm (straight, L-shaped or J-shaped) can position the controller at the angle and height needed for driving now, including lower than the armrests if needed, and can be adjusted as time goes on. The Tri-Lock™ midline system (commercial disclaimer: made by my employer) has a 240-degree position to rest against the wheelchair when you roll up to tables. But yes, the downside of that is losing joystick access until someone flips the arm back up.

If you don't want to lose that access and he can manipulate a retractable controller, that would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back