Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Today was one of those "Reality” (slap you in the face) days. They always come when you let your guard down and don't see it coming.

I have not had enough nerve to venture out for 3 months now because my loaner powerchair, which I am very thankful for, has had an electrical problem that they can't seem to fix. So I have only been off our property twice to go to support group meetings.

Anyway, I had a surprise visit today, they brought out a new, old, power wheelchair. I was very excited as now I can venture out again. Right? Wrong!

I am not going to expand on what transpired but suffice it to say today turned out to be the lowest day I have ever had. It did not have any of the features my other chair had.

Why can't they at least make them comfortable? With the price they get for them is that too much to ask?

There are some major other issues as well. I really wish I was in a position to influence purchasing decisions. These chairs are ordered by people who have no clue about the needs of someone with ALS. We have no meat on our bones so seats have to be comfortable. Is that too much to ask? I have only been in the chair for 5 hours and am almost in tears because of the pain.

I wish I could build my own and I would use a bucket seat out of a quality automobile. They are comfortable and a fraction of the price these wheelchair people charge for their junk.

I want them to fix and return my old chair! I don't care it is 6 years old, it was a great chair!

Enough of my rant.

Joel, I am hoping that they can get your old chair back to you or even a NEW chair that will at least be comfortable. When someone is in one chair for all of their waking hours they should be able to have one that fits, is comfortable and has the features that you need. Take care and let them know that you are not satisfied, it is not about what you want it is about what you need.

You can rant anytime but I wish none of us had to.

Joel ... I'm so sorry you have an uncomfortable chair. I feel the same way you do about a lot of these products .... why don't they just ASK the users, or at least let us be part of the design team.

Your chair is too important to not be exactly right. I hope you can get your old chair back!

God bless.

i think they should have to sit in that chair for 5 hours and the tell you if they think you need a different one! although they may have an advantage with their own built in seat cushion, if you know what i mean.

love and prayers joel.....

Joel, Have you inquired as to if you can still get your wheelchair back? I hope this gets resolved soon, you've always expressed here to us how you're still mobile and can go almost anywhere, this is something that should not change because of lack of a comfortable wheelchair.

joel.
so sorry to hear you have had such a rotten day.
i hope you get your old chair back real soon:)

sorry to hear about your day...i have had a few issues with my loaner, and now with my powerchair. I agree, noone really knows how uncomfortable we get. i tell my home support(cause they do ask) i say "imagine a weggie all day and not adjust it" they laugh and fully understand how uncomfortable it can be :)

Joel,

That sucks dude. I went to pick mine up at the supplier. I was glad I did as it would not have fit if it was delivered.

May I offer the thought of going to visit them tomorrow at their depot and get the issues ironed out. There is no reason you should suffer .

Glen

Joel,

! vote they fix your old chair and return it asap!

Let them know this entire forum is behind you in this!

Zaphoon

Dear Joel,
I hope that you were able to contact someone about at the very least returing your old chair. People with ALS loose so much, a comfortable seat shouldn't be on the list too.
You are in my thoughts and prayer! Hope you are feeling better!
In friendship
Jeannie

Yep, that sucks. My old chair, given to me by a man at work has a normal "van" style seat on it. When I sat in it for 8-12 hours a day, it was really making my butt hurt at the end. I know what you are going through. My new chair has a ROHO cushion on it, and while I know some people love them and some hate them, it works for me. It did take me a couple of days fiddling with the pressure at first, and I kept the pump handy. There just isn't much meat left back there, and it seems I'm sitting on my pelvic bone and tailbone. I can really tell this if I have to sit in another chair for any length of time. I hope they get your old chair fixed, or maybe take the seat off it and put on this one.

Perry

Thanks everyone!

The technician is coming back on Friday. It was kind of funny today, we were at an ALS symposium in Vancouver all day and I talked to a dear friend, whose husband has ALS, and they had the exact same experience right after mine. The technician is going to pay them a visit after mine on Friday! LOL

Hope you get your chair either fixed or the old one back, Joel. You never complain, so it really must be hurting you. Let us know how it goes.
Colleen

so sorry joelc- this should not happen to anyone....there was a guy who made a power recliner but, he got drunk and crashed into a car so the cops took it ...and put it on ebay went for a good price to but, boy was the man mad ..hope this makes you smile but, i bet that recliner was comfortable.

Sorry about the problems with your chair Joel. Glad the tech is coming out to help you and your friend.
I am sure you will keep on them and get the chair tweeked to suit you.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back