Diagnosis
11/2006
Country
US
State
NY
City
Albany
I'm currently shopping around for a power scooter, possibly getting a loaner from the ALS clinic. I would be interested in hearing people's experiences with different types and brands of scooters, both the pros and cons. I'm particularly interested in hearing about the "portable" scooters regarding just how portable they really are. Also, how much dexterity is needed to operate the hand controls and are there any adjustments that can be made to help people with weak hands?

I just got a loaner scooter myself. If you have weak hands I would NOT advise you to use a scooter. It definitely requires both arm and hand strength to drive the thing.

I am looking at the scooter as a short-term tool. I am in process of getting a power wheelchair as well. We're going on vacation for a week end of this month. It just so happened that my sister-in-law had a friend who had a scooter to give away, so I'll use it on vacation and afterward as long as I can safely drive it.

Generally, scooters are not recommended for those of us with ALS. My healthcare team at Johns Hopkins advised me NOT to put much money into it. I decided to buy a new battery & seat (it needs both), but that's all.

Good luck!

power chair

I used my Mother's old power chair for about 8 mo. It was one from " The scooter store", and I liked it just fine. Now I have a Jazzy and I'm still getting to know it !
I don't know which one I will like the best, they both have features I like. I would stay away from scooters.
Bob.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back