Power chair? Start the process as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueG

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
ME
City
central
My power chair is finally here! After five-plus months. Delays in getting appt at the wc clinic, delays in coordinating from the wc clinic to the provider, meanwhile my hands tanked so the joystick control originally specified wouldn't work, so I had to be reevaluated, ad the revised chair reordered.
At the second evaluation, the wc clinic OT, the provider rep, and the manufacturers rep were all there, and it made a huge difference. Te Invacare rep suggested several tweaks that improved the design considerably.
Now I just need to practice with the head controls- a bit tricky in our old farmhouse with 30" doorways! But I'm thrilled to finally have it.

Sue

Yay! Enjoy your mobility! Watch out for those doorways and make sure to keep your toes tucked in!

Yay, so happy for you!

Excellent! I'm so happy for you Sue! I need to get going on that too. :)

Glad you finally have it. I will be ordering mine soon. I sure hope it doesn't take as long.

Good advice Sue, glad you finally have your wheels! You might want to have the door frames removed for their own preservation... :)

My chair was ordered about 3 weeks ago, haven't heard of anything wrong.. yet...

Woohoo! I'm glad it finally arrived! Keep the updates coming as you learn, those of us heading in that direction love the sharing of information!

Jen

I agree, start early. I started in Feb, checked progress and had to have reminders sent because the docs did not mail in thepaper work 3 months after.wc co still calling today for info on why i need it, and so on. So 4 months and I am still not approved when I should be sitting in it at home. I am getting a loaner this week that is almost like the one i have on order. I should have had it ordered around a year ago................so start your process asap.

Sue, I'm so happy for you. I just found out today that insurance approved my chair (within 72 hours) but not the specialty items. The insurance wants an itemized list of each one so they can approve it. That's like half of my chair! What was the hold up? The first doc tor wrote the prescription, then I went into the nursing home (they won't purchase one), then had to wait for release and new prescription and doc tors notes. Six months tomorrow. But at least half is approved and it will be no more than 30 days for the specialty items. I'm looking up for once (that glass is more than half full today)!

Let me know how easy the head array is. That's what determines whether I use it by myself indoors. I have wide doorways, just don't want to bang up the 125+ year old trim. Have fun and post some pictures.

Last edited:
So happy for you!...that was a long wait but well worth it in the end.

Di, isn't your PWC due in tomorrow?

Barge should be in tonight some time, but then one day to off load everything, so wednesday is the "supposed day"....I want to get excited but am afraid to till I actually see it after all I have been thru trying to get one for the last 10 months, maybe longer. Hoping it not a junker loaner, but as long as it moves with out me having to try and move it, yay!

Di I just hope your son doesn't have to "fix" in the first 30 days.

Hurray for all the power! I know the wait is hard! Wish I could speed it up!

Jen

I'm still stuck with a hand control, and ecer getting wrong for catching the paintwork around the door frames. I could imagine my other halfs comment if I had the same control you have, she'd be telling me to use my head lol rofl

Its really good to hear someone's good news for a change I'm truly pleased for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back