Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the scooter break down to separate pieces? Mine does, and I use it everywhere I go... mall, flea market, doctor visits, restaurants, etc. Because it's more portable, it's easier to transport while I figure out what to do about a van... and I get less questions and "looks" when I'm in it.

thanks Helen. Yeah I wanted a scooter that breaks down into 5 pieces (non weigh over 30pounds) so that way i could go to flea markets and places. they gave me a heavy one though. It is a huge one.
would love to find one of the lightweight ones. my progression has been slow, so i really think that it would be a good option for me. so now when i go somewhere where i have to walk a lot someone has to push me in a trnsfer vchair. in hate it. i use my feet and drag the chair around sometimes.

Hello, when my nuro told us that I can't fall any more and need something...I had medicade which wouldn't pay for any type of power chair or scooter. So we got on line my hsuband did, and he found us a scooter cheap too. Well just recently the motor burn up my husband said our carpet it didn't like...whatever.
Now I got medicare and united health care plan I can get a scooter thru the provider. I wanted a power chair thinking ahead...but my husband thinks I can't control it. They have musroons type of hand controller...so if you have hand and finger problems like me it might help getting one of those musroons thing.
Some one from the provider came out last week and he went over what I could get what the insurance would pay or not pay....I told him I have socillos (s spine) and I really need a til type of seat...I lean and it's hard to sit up any more. Besides my butt hurts...I needed a better seat.
Well he call back and said they the insurance went for the more comfy seat but not the tilting back. darn!
Oh well they say that medicare will pay for one chair in 3 years...now this is all hear say.
I AM VERY GREATFUL FOR ANYTHING. As for the lift the insurance will not pay for any lift for my mini van..or car etc. I found out they start around $1,000 go up from there...
you really need to shop around.
good luck
I think there are other programs you have to search for like I think has been mention here.
One thing the Vets have much better time getting everything they need in this way...I've been told.
So for us we purchase a use mini van but we didn't know those fold down comparments are no good for the lifts they can put in the mini vans. We found out the hard way.
My husband got a cheap rail thing and made it fit our mini van and it is impossible for me to ever use my scooter without someone else getting it out for me now.
But I feel so sorry for my husband he hurts so much helping me....it is hard to hear him cry out in pain....I wish I could do more for him.
I pray.

hummmmmm.... feeling your husband's pain.........prayers for your husband.

thank you ghost_writer if my husband saw me writing he would tell me to stop it.
but see I'm me and that is how I am...so i would like to say again thank you for his support.

I'm with you bus lady, our families really feel a lot of pain. Thanks for the advice !

I remember where my husband purchase the ramp he uses to get my scooter in and out of our mini van....Harbor Freight....it's a store that sells tools all sorts of interesting stuff....
So he modifed it a bit and it kind of works for him...he also got some speical like screews to keep it in place when loading unloading so it won't move when he does do that.
Also he did something else not sure but it does sit between the middle seats and rattles a bit...it don't bougher me the sounds because driving a school bus was much louder with all types of rattles...

Also wanted to add the scooter that broke is a take apark one....and is too small so my feet espiecally the left foot that is drop foot hands and my husband tells everyone how he is in fear that I will run over my feet....but I think it is not long enough or tall enough for me is all.
I find also the type of level thing that you push hurts my thumbs because of a break in it last Christmas...I wear a hand and thumb brace because the hand doctor told me too.

As for the new scooter they had to get not only the Rx from my doctor but documents as well....and plus it will take the provider said at lease 6 weeks...maybe up to 8.
I still probably doing bad by getting the larger scooter...but my husband thinks that is best....and the man from the provider thought so too.
I guess they all know better, I can only hope right.

Well thank you again for reading my post....happy 4th to you all.

hugs

Hello Itbeauti and nice to meet you.....thank you for your comments....yes without the family help where would we be?

HUGS to you too Itbeauti......

happy 4th of July

I see I forgot another thing sorry for forgetting...darn
well I was thinking best way of talking about how or what my husband has done to help me in our mini van with the scooter problem...would be with pictures...so I will ask him to take some and that way I can I hope post them here...ok?

We when we got the smaller scooter last year....the people gave me a rack looking thing with a built in ramp on it...it folds out to the side from the back of the car/truck but it doesn't like to sit still...it kind of rocks.....my husband took it to the local welder and he said he sees that rack that hold scooters all the time...it is a problem he sees in the style of it....when we look on line at how much it cost it is one of the cheapest ones.....
We use it for a while when all we had was our truck...but it has been to hard for me to climb up inside the truck any more....
so I can't ride in our truck...besides it is stiff and I have problems with that....

OK enough chatting....thank you again for having so much patents with me......

I was at a neighbor's house today. He has some mobility issues but does not have ALS. He said Medicare helped him get his scooter. The scooter consists of 4 pieces that fit together in minutes. His wife is able to put it together for him when they go somewhere. This eliminates the need for a van, they put it into the back of their truck. It seemed really nice. They told me that they had the scooter for 4 years and are pleased with the product. I am sure a power chair has more features, but it does not come apart for easy transport. I tried the scooter. It was comfortable. I am not sure all the pros and cons of a scooter versus a power chair.

If you have ALS a scooter may work well for you for awhile. You will have a problem with a scooter once your muscles in your torso start to weaken. At that point you will need the back support that a PWC provides and will appreciate the tilt and recline feature. I am much more comfortable after sitting upright for a few hours to switch over to the tilt/recline position. I had limb onset and am now a bit over 2 years since symptom onset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back