Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
NY
I want to buy a wheelchairs for my grand father. Someone suggest me to use power chairs but I am not sure how is a Power chair different from Wheelchair?

Your grandfather has ALS? A power chair is a type of wheelchair that has batteries and is rechargeable. It can be operated with a control so it doesn’t have to pushed or propelled. One for a PALS will have a headrest, supports and things like a recline and tilt function and some other things. His clinic should order one specific to his needs You can buy used but insurance generally pays for one mobility device every five years. Use that for a power chair for him. If he just needs a transport chair right now you can buy something used for the meantime but talk to his doctor about the powerchair. It takes time to get one ordered and delivered

I agree with Nikki, I have 2 one suppled by als and the other I bought used on kajiji both are powered and very reliable. I have the advantage of being in Canada where every thing is suppled but I still recommend a power wheelchair. A regular wheelchair requires arms to propel it may be your grandfather dose not the strength to propel it.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back