EasyT

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi,

I want to start by saying this thread is amazing resource with tons of information and support and I truly feel for all of the PALS and loved ones affected by ALS.

I am a 27 year old male with no other underlying health conditions other than high blood pressure, and recently contracting COVID in April. About 3 weeks ago I noticed weakness in my right hand/forearm area with no regularly associated pain (an occasional ache or two a day). I didn’t do anything to overexert that arm and had no injury to it at all. One week after noticing the initial weakness in my right arm, I went to the chiropractor to see if that would help and for the next week I had not taken notice to any weakness (I was on vacation so maybe I just didn’t notice?). After that week I felt the weakness come back and contacted my chiropractor again as well as my PCP this time for an overall assessment and bloodwork. After the second chiropractor appointment I still was experiencing the weakness and this time I could feel it into my upper arm and my scapula. At the same time I started experiencing twitches in the same arm (they are localized to the forearm, just below the elbow, and my shoulder blade). Very rarely will I have a twitch in my left arm or legs. My PCP appointment is still a little while away but in the meantime I’ve been experiencing debilitating stress and anxiety about my symptoms and the lack of explanation for them.

In the Read Before Posting thread I noticed it says weakness and atrophy are about Failure not Feeling. I am still able to do almost every task I could do before (tie shoes, use keys in doors, lift things, etc) but I’m wondering if this is me maybe noticing the weakness and fatigue before the Failure. I know it also says that hyperrflexia must be determined by a doctor or PCP as well but I’ve always been involuntarily “jumpy” whenever abruptly touched on the shoulder or arm or leg. I wish I could get to my PCP sooner to ease the anxiety and stress but that unfortunately isn’t an option

I came here to post this because I’ve talked about it to my family and fiancé multiple times and they continually answer with “You’re a healthy young man stop worrying you’re okay”. I am also aware that I won’t get any definitive answers until my doctors visit or an EMG is done but I was just hoping for some insight and first hand experience related to my situation or something similar. Thank you guys so much and bless all of you.

I would like to assure you that you are not noticing the weakness and fatigue before failure, you are trying to convince yourself you have a terminal disease without having the hallmark symptoms.
PALS are constantly shocked that they feel totally normal, yet their body won't do what their mind tells it to - that is failure.

While I can't say nothing is wrong, I can say you need to to work with your doctor. There really isn't any reason to worry about ALS.

Thanks for your time and reply! You’re right I will just work with my PCP to figure out the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back