Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
Hi, I am a white male in early 30s. For the past 7 months or so I have had some concerning symptoms and would like your advice.

This started back in April with onset of leg pain in both calves/sometime thighs and twitching. The twitching became widespread over the next few weeks and it is certainly worse on exertion (walking, carrying things, etc). I also began to have shortness of breath, sometime just sitting around and sometimes on exertion. Laying down was sometimes bothersome and felt breathlessness and I needed to use two pillows. I do also have eye floaters that started with all of this and right hand pain where I feel I have lost some muscle, primarily in FDI area.

I have had an extensive workup. MRIs, spinal tap, loads of bloodwork (celiac, autoimmune, MG, lyme, endocrine issues, etc), eye exam, heart/lungs are all ok. Throughout the past 7 months, I had 3 NCS/EMG (one by general neuro, one by Mayo Jax and another by Columbia ALS center). These are clearly not a standard neuro and have experience with ALS patients. All of them were normal, even without fasciculations and they tested legs/arms/tongue/paraspinals/hip/thoracic region.

From all the testing, I do have two abnormal results so far. My MIP was -60 and MEP 60 (Ive found that is 50%-60% of expected). I also had a cardiopulmonary exercise stress test which was abnormal and showed low tidal volumes (at 40% of expected, range 40%-80%) and poor oxygen extraction. I have daily muscle pain, twitching, dyspnea, and floaters. Could this be respiratory or abdominal onset? I had the thoracic region checked by all 3 neuros and EMG there was normal but have clear respiratory weakness. My diaphragm isn't paralyzed as CT with inspiration/expiration normal. PFTs are in the low 80s for FVC/FEV1 while supine only showed a small decrease however these values have been constant since June despite several PFTs and ongoing symptoms.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back