Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AU
State
South australia
City
Adelaide
I had an electric shock in September. We are unsure how severe it was but I did not black out. Immediately after I had weakness in my arm and leg (my hand was the point of contact, opposite foot was exit point) and a tingling feeling up my forearm. This pain lasted a few months and subsided, but I still have some muscle pain and tightness in the arm and calf muscle and very occasional tingling. I also still occasionally have a feeling of light sandpaper on my wrist. After around a month I developed a slight twitch in my foot and hand on occasion (once every couple of days)

In the past week, I have started twitching much more, except over my entire body (both arms and legs, hands, chest, head, shoulders etc). Every few seconds when I wake up. Once I have been up, it drops down to every few minutes. Also I have kind of goosebumps on the affected arm and leg that are a bit itchy. Some burning headaches that last a few day around once a fortnight.

I have some questions:

Can als and other mnd progress so quickly?
Can electric shock cause mnd?
What does it sound like? I am still waiting on MRI and nerve conduction, but I would like to prepare myself for the potential outcome. Is there something I can do to repair the nerves?

There has been some thought about a connection with low-frequency electromagnetic field exposure and ALS, but with very early research. Higher-voltage shocks, not so much.

However, that does not apply to you anyway, as nothing you have discussed sounds like MND. However, you seem like a great candidate for massage therapy and possibly PT, with a therapist who has a neuromuscular specialty. Essentially, your nerves and muscles have suffered a trauma and I am not surprised that there are after-effects.

You could also ask a neurologist about a low dose of gabapentin for the itching/twitching, and a low-dose B vitamin complex to support healing, and re-evaluate your diet in consideration of electrolyte balance. A neuro can also evaluate you for RLS/PLM-type disorders, for possibly more specific drugs.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you very very much for your reply. I appreciate it a lot.

It is a relief to have something to focus on while I wait for the neurologist.

Update: MRI and nerve conduction were fine. I have had the neurologists appointment pushed forward to tomorrow.

Since I last wrote here, additional symptoms have come up.

I got a numb chin. This settled after a couple of days but I still feel it tingle occasionally.

I have a feeling like my neck is being strangled or someone is pushing my Adam's apple.

My bones are clicking with almost every movenent over the past few days.

I've started a vegan gf diet and taking vit B, iron and magnesium.

Does any of this seem related?

It really doesn't sound like the pattern of symptoms that is connected to MND/ALS. Good luck with the doctor tomorrow. I hope they will be able to provide you some reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back