JohnJuly

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello everyone,

First and foremost I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to read this and allowing me to post in your group.

Second, I have read the stickies and they have helped me very much.

Reason I am here, I am 3 weeks post COVID. Ever since I recovered my legs, particularly my thighs, have been very fatigued, like heavy legs. It started with a pain , now there is no pain just the constant fatigue.

I can stand on my tippy toes and heels, they are just get exhausted quick. I still perform my daily activities and go up and down stairs.

I had my blood work checked and all came back good. I went down the rabbit hole on Dr. Google and came across ALS and since then, I have been losing my mind.

I apologize if I am bothering anyone, I just am physically and mentally exhausted and scared.

I thank you so much, all of you.

Hi John, so sorry you have been unwell. You might know that covid can drag on for many months causing fatigue and weakness. I hope you are being followed carefully by your doctor.

The sticky does clearly say that fatigue is not an ALS symptom. ALS is not a muscle problem, so you don't feel those things.

Please take care and allow your body to heal from a serious illness.

I thank you so much for your reply and I apologize for my ignorance.

Feeling of heavy legs or jelly legs, would be fatigue as opposed to weakness, correct?

Again, sorry. I see a therapist for health anxiety and I tend to overreact in regards to things like this.

As the sticky indicates - PALS feel completely normal and are surprised that some part of their body simply stops working, no warning.
Feeling heavy or jelly legs is not an ALS symptom.

Please talk with your doctor about your continuing covid effects, it is a serious disease and long covid is well known to cause symptoms for a long time and you need support for that as it is real.

Thank you so much for your help, I was in a dark mental place because of this.

I would wake up and it’s like I had to focus on walking because my thighs felt so weird. All activity was there, just the strength wasn’t.

There are many post-covid support groups out there- FB, reddit, etc, where people have shared their common experiences and provide peer support. It can be a life changing virus. My hope is that you find one that works for you if you continue to find there's a gap between your therapy sessions where you need a hand with anxiety.

Take care

Thank you,

I appreciate you all so much and apologize.

I want to ask one more thing and then I am off this thread.

If I feel soreness, jelly legs, weird walking, but I can do normal activities: jump, etc. that would not be clinical weakness, correct?

I feel it all in my thigh, mainly my right one. Walking feels weird sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. It comes and goes. and sometimes it gets sore. There is a lot I read of this on post COVID but my anxiety is driving me nuts.

I know you arent here to subside my anxiety, you have real people to take care of, and my heart goes out to everyone dealing with this. I’m just in a dark place right now.

Clinical weakness is weakness detected by a doctor when examining you. A good proxy is being unable to do something. It isn’t a feeling it is some kind of failure. Example when I could not stand on tippy toe that was a failure. When my neurologist examined me and found weakness in the relevant muscles it was clinical weakness

also there are many causes of clinical weakness and post covid can be one. There was a woman here who had covid ( not hospitalized) who ended up so weak her spouse had to help her with all her activities dressing bathing eating. It wasn’t ALS it was covid ( and she did slowly improve eventually)

Understood and I apologize. :/

What I am explaining, doesn’t sound like clinical weakness and I should get off the internet, huh?

mr google is very bad at this sort of thing. Working with your doctor is the way to go and you are correct feeling weak is not clinical weaknes

I read that it is not something that comes and goes,

It is either there or it isn’t. Is this true?

Dr. Google has been terrible throughout all of this.

I am a healthy 27/M prior to a mild COVID then this jelly leg/thigh.

My doctor told me I have a vitamin D deficiency and to take vitamins, minerals, and relax for 2 months. Blood work all fine. Then I found google and ….

Yes

and aside from post covid vitamin d deficiency can make you feel awful and it takes a while to feel better even after supplementing.

trust your doctor

Thank you for subsiding my anxiety

I am sorry if I wasted your time, just has been coming and going. One week I’m fine, the next week My legs are fatigued and I’m back down this hole.

I appreciate you all so much and I pray they find a cure for this.

❤️

It is correct that ALS weakness is not one week fine, the next not. At all.

Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to the extent to which you suffer with Covid, with some data to suggest that deficiency might make you more susceptible to getting it. So it's worth it to keep up with your D (not megadosing, though) on that basis as well.

The best source is the sun (supplements don't do exactly the same thing), which has other benefits, so get out in it all you can.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back