Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Princeton
Hello Everyone,

Let me start by saying I have been in here for a month now reading up on discussions and symptoms and I have read through the stickies as well. Just wanted to say the community here is amazing and the people diagnosed with this diseased who take time to help people with care and questions, BLESS YOU. This is my first post and my background is that I am a 26 Year Old Caucasian Male. My symptoms include:

- Weakness in my right wrist/hand (Also in my left hand/wrist but not as much); ex: I went bowling and the bowling ball was much harder to hold/bowl with than normal, but it hurt my wrist painfully and middle finger which I heard is not a sign of ALS I think; I also cannot grip as tight as normal, but I can still grip hard enough for normal activities
- Weak jaw; Ex: When I chew or talk to loud/fast my jaw gets sore and tired very fast
- twitching in arms and legs and sometimes my chest and shoulders all throughout the day

My question is do these sound like early signs of ALS and is it something I should look into? I have a doctor's appointment with my Primary in a few weeks, and wanted to get some insight before I head in. I have been pretty worried and frightened about these symptoms aligning with similar ALS symptoms. I realize I have not had a test done, and it would be early on in my symptoms. I have had these symptoms for about 6 weeks and was wondering if it is possible that it is early symptoms?

Last edited:
It is very unlikely, Max, that ALS would present in your legs, jaw and both wrists/hands all at the same time, nor does it present generally as you have described.

It is therefore very likely that tweaking diet, hydration, sleep, stress and activities can help you significantly. For example, stretching before bowling, not just carpal tunnel-type exercises but full body stretching, is always wise. These are areas you might consider in advance and also develop some questions for your doctor.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for such a quick reply! I actually removed the part about my legs, because they do not show any weakness more of just stiffness which I believe to be from me being inactive/eating poorly. My wrists/hands do have significant weakness for the course of 6 weeks and I do not believe it to be related to improper stretching. I believe this because the weakness/hand pain shows up in all activities that use significant force or need strength such as griping something, even gripping my steering wheel when driving seems like different, but I can still do them. I does not seem stretching related, but it could very well could not be ALS (and most likely is not ALS based on your assessment and odds of it happening), but I just want to make sure I make the necessary precautions and take care of myself in all situations, which is why I am wondering if these could possibly be symptomatic of ALS.

Nope, you exhibited zero symptoms of ALS onset. Please follow Laurie's advice.

Best of luck to you in the future and take good care.

Hello again I have recently starting experiencing increased weakness in my wrists, jaw weaknesss, and today it has been harder to swallow at times. The jaw weakness and difficulty swallowing are mainly what have me wondering. Its not like I am choking or anything it just seems like I have to strain more to swallow. Just wanted to confirm none of these are early ALS symptoms or symptomatic progression? These seem to match with some other cases I have read on here, but I just wanted to confirm these are definitely not related. If they truly are not I will look elsewhere.

Nope, definitely NOT related, NOT ALS. Time to move on. Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply and the good news! I will take your advice and move on and look elsewhere. God bless you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back