Not open for further replies.

Natsfan39

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, I am extremely anxious about the symptoms I have been having and I have already started the process with my primary care doctor. Earlier this month I had a bunch of nerve pain that came on all a sudden. My feet were burning but yet felt cold for a couple days. My back was burning as well and it felt like I had a sunburn on my back. This has kindve went away but I still get electric shock feelings in various parts of my body.

However, about ten days ago I have developed muscle twitching all over my body. These usually occur at night and I have them in several places. As I am falling asleep I start jerking as well. They have not stopped and it is really concerning me and it has been difficult to sleep. I have had perceived weakness but my strength feels fine.

Does this mean that als will start? Should I be worried about als in the near future? Any insight at all would be great. I have read about the symptoms online that muscle twitching is associated with ALS and I am scared. My doctor did bloodwork and everything came back fine except my vitamin D was slightly deficient. I have been supplementing but nothing has improved.

It takes time for Vitamin D to have an effect if a deficiency underlies any symptoms. I would ask about screening for a movement disorder such as Restless Leg Syndrome. I would also adjust my exercise and stretching, and consider a massage, to see if the "shocks" can be reduced. However, I see no reason to think about ALS.

Does twitching all over the body happen before muscle weakness?

We are happy to help people with questions AFTER they have seen a doctor and had examination, and read the post you have been giving the link for above.
That way we don't have to just say the same things over and over.
But short answer - no.

Hi all,

My twitching has declined throughout the day. I still have them pretty bad at night when I go to bed. I get them in my right leg more often now but it goes away as soon as I start moving and may not come back for awhile. I also felt a slight tightness and pain behind my knee on the back of my leg as though a muscle was tight. It wasn’t unbearable and I still have strength just knee pain and some tightness. I’m also having these reflexive jerks every night when I close my eyes and lay still. These don’t happen any other time. This all started three weeks ago after nerve pain for three days. Should I be extremely worried?

Hi Natsfan,

It's still not clear if you've read the link provided above, as you keep asking about twitching- the link provides the answers so we don't keep having to repeat ourselves. If you still have questions after that, we recommend you visit with your doctor first.

Thank you

Have you seen a doctor?
It is rude to come here and ask questions, but not answer those we ask back.

I am terribly sorry. I see my doctor tomorrow. I definitely do not mean to upset anyone. I am just petrified right now. My right arm also feels a little weak as well.

Hello, I saw my GP. He was quite scared about the twitching and nerve pain. All of my labs are great. My MRI is this week. I still have no clinical weakness and can do everything normal. As I lie in bed I have some brief twitching in legs normally. I don’t have them much during the day. I do have weird sensations in my legs like ticking and pins and needles. It honestly feels like my leg hair is moving. Any thoughts?

Our thoughts are you keep working with your doctor.

As you will have read in the "read before" link we've recommended a few times, sensory issues point to something other than ALS. It seems like maybe you haven't read the link because you keep posting here with no indication that you've read and understood what is contained there.

I'm quite surprised your doctor displayed emotions such as "quite scared" over innocuous twitching. Was that something you deduced, or did your GP say these exact words? Nerve pain can be helped with appropriate meds and treatment. Of course, that will be determined by your doctor, not the folks here. You're definitely not describing ALS, that's for sure.

He said my symptoms are “scary as hell”. However, I’m not sure if he knows much about fasiculations. I brought up benign fasiculation syndrome and he seemed like he doesn’t know what it is. They have referred me to neurology.

time for a new doctor, but the internet will never be a substitute.

let us know for sure when you have a diagnosis.

Hello, I have seen a neurologist. He did a neurological examination on me. I just had an EMG and a nerve conduction study. He’s not at all worried about ALS. However, he only did both legs and my lower back for both tests. Should I ask him to do my upper extremities as well? I’m having nerve pains and some tightness in my right arm and thumb pain and of course twitching in my shoulders and arms. He’s not sure what’s causing it. Said no signs of polyneuropathy either. Any ideas as to what I should do going further?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back