Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread. I have my Rx for a bipap right here and I'm calling to find a place to fill it. Wanted a place closer to where I live. My RT yells at me also. Otherwise I woiuld stop before they want me to. I think I'm done and they are sure I'm not. My FVC went from 87 in March to 54 last week.

Sharonca

Yes-she yelled at me, too. Kept saying I could do better and to try harder.

Thanks for the hint about asking for the mask Pat.

Our first visit to the Forbes Norris ALS clinic, they did a breathing test and the Resp Therapist (who was real nice) kept yelling (seemed like yelling to me) at my father to BLOW BLOW, HARDER, COME ON, YOU HAVE TO DO BETTER. I almost jumped at of my seat to tell her to LEAVE HIM ALONE!

It freaked me out a bit. AGain, I think she was nice overall, but I wanted to stop her when she was pushing my father. Is this normal, to keep pushing during these breathing tests?

My father's FVC was 66% and I believe he has bulbar onset (no dr. has actually said that, but that is my assumption from what I am reading). The RT said when he got to 50% he would need a BiPAP. He already can't sleep on his back. So I was glad to read the posts here about PALS starting BiPAP when the FVC was higher. I'll definately ask about that next week when we go back.
Bette

Dont get upset thats how the tech yells during the test.Its to encourage the person to keep blowing

Pat 1

Bette,

Be aware that you will have to get the BiPAP from the ALSA loaner closet if your Dad wants one and he is on Medicare. It's a shame that you have to be severely compromised ( OK- half dead ... no offense - this angers me ) to be able to qualify for equipment that would prolong your life!

The RTs were trying to hint to my husband to not try so hard on one visit to the ALS clinic, but he's a dumb blond and didn't pick up on it! LOL :mrgreen:

We have a loaner BiPAP and my husband thinks it helps him, but he's having trouble with a "heat" issue and dry mouth even tho he uses a humidifier. We are waiting for a chin strap and hopefully that will help .

Pat,
Thanks for the tip about using a mask for the next breathing test! My PALS mouth is alot weaker now than when he had his first PFT.
Best to you,
Jane

i am new to this ...we were told my wife has ALS in april 2008 last week they added ALS dementia...
but some of the dr reports says "bulbar" ALS ... not sure ALS is not Bulbar ALS ?
i am seeing some people use that word in this section ... can this be defined more
thanks

mayNsky-

Bulbar refers to the muscles involved with speech and swallowing. You may notice that your wife will slur her words as if she has had a few too many sometimes. This will happen especially when she is tired. At least that is my experience with my husband. The tongue is a very long muscle and does a lot more than you would think.

You may need to start cutting her food up in small pieces so she can manage easier to chew without a lot of effort, so she doesn't start eating less. Smoothies are good, as you can pack a lot of protein and help keep the weight on.

I'm sorry for your wife's diagnosed. Have you contacted the ALS Association to get information that may be helpful? They have manuals they can send to you free of charge that explain the many aspects of ALS. Also the MDA has just come out with a new ALS booklet. You should register with both organizations, as you will need them.

Last edited:
mayNsky,
I'm so sorry about your wife's diagnosis. You're entering a whole new world and have alot to learn just like the rest of us who've found our way here.
CJ is right, you'll definitely need to register with both the ALS association and MDA. Here's a link for the greater Chicago ALS association:

http://webchicago.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CHI_homepage

Here's the MDA office closest to you:

http://local.mda.org/site/PageServe...120&CampaignCode=3972&isALS=yes&Lookup=Lookup

MDA has an ALS division. Here is a link to the MDA/ALS publications which are available free to all who register:

http://www.als-mda.org/publications/

Here is a link to the ALS association manuals CJ was talking about. They will be sent to you when you register and are very helpful:

http://www.alsa.org/resources/manuals.cfm

My PALS husband is bulbar-onset also and talking and swallowing are the biggest issues for him.
Good luck to both of you and I hope you find all the help you need. Ask anything you need to. You're sure to find helpful answers here.
Jane

mayNsky,

I am so sorry about your wife's diagnosis. My husband had his diagnosis confirmed only in March. He too has Bulbar onset with frontotemporal dementia. You have come to the right place for the best info and support. As I read the threads I learn more and more what to expect and how others deal with similar problems. We are all here to help each other.

OK... so bulbar is the location and/or type she has...that helps explain the use of the word i am seeing in these comments...
My wife started slurring her words back in october of 2007 ... then after seeing several doctors and several test for the wrong reasons ... she started having issues with her swallowing and things moved pretty fast after that ... a feeding tube was put in 1st part of may ... now the dementia thing is happening...
DOES THE BAD NEWS EVER STOP....this bipap thing sounds like it is next... her sleep at night is a best restless... from what i read that is due to the lack of breathing ? is that correct...
i do not notice her breathing to be difficult ... her test at the dr office was at 80%... she is 45 and she is a personnal trainer so she is in very good shape ... WHAT possibly could be next... and how soon

I am so sorry MayNsky. I hate this disease for all of us!

mayNsky,
Good luck to both of you and I hope you find all the help you need. Ask anything you need to. You're sure to find helpful answers here.
Jane

Jane, you are right, this has been a wonderful resource and in the short time I've been here, the love, care and support among the PALS and CALS here is just outstanding.
I appreciate all the responses and openess.
Ok, enough of the mushy stuff.
But great information about the BiPAP, I'm definately going to ask about it when we go in next week and just send an email to the local MDA asking how I can register with them.
Thanks to all of you!
Bette

Good luck with the BiPAP, Bette. Mushy stuff.....that sounds like my PALS' diet. ;)

Jane

mayNsky,

My husband uses the BiPAP at night and his FVC is at 91%. The ALS Clinic at Emory believes every PALS should be on BiPAP, as their opinion is PALS breathe on their own longer (without intrusive ventilation).

Husband reports that he feels better when he uses it. He has more energy the next day.

As for what could be next only her ALS knows for sure! :evil: It is different in every person.

I'm very sorry about your situation. Good luck to you!

My Wife's breathing number has been below 30% for some time. Three months ago it was 13%. The stats may say the end is near but there are exceptions.

Hey Becca,

We got a Respironics bi-pap machine ten weeks ago. Our machine, which is a new model, had the settings done by the respiratory tech. There is a small integrated heated humidifier that I fill with distilled water. The filter, the tubing, and the humidifier need to be cleaned regularly.
The tube connecting the mask to the machine is long enough so that you can turn over to the other side during the night while sleeping. All we have to do is turn it on and once my PALS starts inhaling, the machine starts its job. We had a few problems understanding the instructions before we were familiar with the device. It is easy to use once you get used to it. It only weighs a few pounds and we took it all over Italy for a month and it worked fine.
It is very quiet and I have no problem sleeping a few feet away. There are some apnea alarms on the machine and they can be turned on or off. This same machine is used for people with snoring problems and related apnea. In fact our tech uses it for snoring. Our insurance pays for ours.

We did have some problems with the mask at first. We were given the nasal pillows but my husband has a large nose and the pillows pushed into his nostrils and was very uncomfortable.
The new mask he has is full face and it comes in different sizes according to your face. Jay finds that easier to sleep with. There are cushions to position the mask on his face and there are straps around the top of his head and the back of his head towards the neck to keep it in place. The part of the mask that covers his nose and mouth has a soft gasket to seal the face mask. This mask is good for someone who is a mouth breather or has a problem keeping his jaw closed while breathing. I have noticed that my husband who was always a nose breather breathes with his mouth more open now so this mask works better for him. He also finds that he gets congested with the bi-pap so he now uses Flonase nasal spray- by prescription- and that is helping with the congestion issue. I have been using Flonase for allergies for over ten years and it works great. Try to find out about congestion problems with the machine when you get it. The mask is most important because if the mask isn't comfortable the person won't use the machine. We are seeing the respiratory tech on Tuesday to investigate other masks for daytime use. It is difficult to read or watch tv with the full face mask if you need glasses. I would ask about that. There are quite a few mask alternatives.

Here is a link for a good article about Pulmonary and ALS:
https://psg-mac43.ucsf.edu/als/Bilevel for Website3.pdf

I did not ask for the results of the breathing test when they first gave my PALS the test. I didn't realize what was coming and when they told us he needed a bi-pap when he got his diagnosed I was in such shock about needing the bi-pap immediately I forgot to ask. Last week when he had another breathing test I asked the tech for the results from this test and the results of the one ten weeks ago. My son had gone and spoken to a doctor at Hopkins ALS center about ALS back in April after we got the diagnosed. The doctor was great and gave my son some great info. He said that ususally when someone's lung capacity is at 60% they have a year to live and once it gets into the low 30% range that they are at the end. My husband was at 60% when we got diagnosed and ten weeks later is at 39% so it is not good for us. Be sure you ask for the lung capacity and the NIF, results, which is explained in the above article. When my husband got the b-pap I asked the tech what happens next with breathing? He told me you start out at night with the bi-pap, then you go to the bi-pap fulltime and after that it is a decision about the ventilator. In fact when we went to the clinic las week they asked me if we had decided about the ventilator yet. Again shock and not ready for these next steps. By the way my husband has bulbar and dementia also. I think a lot of people have a much slower progression regarding the breathing issues.

I keep a journal of the journey and in it I keep a record of what the ALS clinic tells me. I find that when something is explained to me at the clinic that I understand it in the moment but when I try to explain later to my kids what was said to me I really don't understand it. Therefore I bought a little Flip video that holds an hour worth of memory and I am going to see if the ALS nurse on Monday or the ALS clinic will mind if I tape what they tell me. My computer savvy son said YouTube has private videos that are like IM'ng and that I can put the video on and he can then see it and be part of the process with me and it is not available for the world to see.
Good luck Becca. I know this is long and rambling but I hope this info helps. Lee

I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back