Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
This possible alert goes to Veteran Members and other members here too.

This morning I received a phone call from a TriAlliance Community Service
(I think that was correct name) saying the VA referred me to them.

I don’t think the VA refers their patients to civilian services.

Here’s how the call went,

“Is this (my first Name)? I said “Yes.”

“This is TriAlliance Community Services, you have been referred to us
from the VA, we like to schedule an appointment with you.”

(I was sharp enough to ask first) I asked, “What is this for?”

She said, “I can follow up on that after I ask for security purposes I
need your Social Security number and date of birth.”

I said, “No, I need to know what this is for before I do that.”

She said, “Again, I need to know we are speaking with (my first name.)
before I can speak of your referral from the VA.”

I said, “No, it doesn’t work that way. No thank you.” I hung up.

Here’s the notable note… this Forum is the only place I have
written about my VA Services replying to a Thread concerning VA
Benefits.

Any member who not service connected who has signed their replies
with their first name and what Neurological Center they go to could be
subject to the same phone call. All members who have… be alert.

I am following up on this call and number. I have a friend who is a
computer guru.

Just to let all know...

Thanks Al you certainly did the right thing. That call sounds horribly suspicious and if they are legitimate at all shame on them.

There is something called Triwest Healthcare Alliance that does work with vets who need to be seen outside the VA. They get horrible reviews

More to Possible Scam

What I am going to further pursue is how they got my unlisted hard
line phone number. I keep a hard line for business purposes.

The Forum has/had my hard line phone number which I hope is not for
member viewing/availability. I hope there is some degree of security
here and beyond that too.

But…

The Forum also has/had my real name, date of birth, Email address and
phone number under Edit your Details which I have since removed.
I now know it was optional. I was just trying to be upfront.

I am not saying they got my phone number from the Forum but…
it could be a possibility. How did they know my real name?
Again, this is the only place I have written about my VA benefits.

The Mods are doing a good job keeping the ill intended off the Forum.
If a Forum security gets compromised it can go unnoticed until…

Re: More to Possible Scam

Even the regular mods can not see the page where email, name and contact numbers are put. It is a different level of access. I only became able to see that page when we started manually approving new members. David had to add another person to manage that which required an expansion of privileges in which that was included because it was part of that tier. One other mod can also see that page. I am quite sure it is not viewable to anyone else. I know I could not see it before as someone with basic mod privilieges. I never looked at your private page before just now.

I am shocked at how easy it can be for people to find unlisted numbers and other information. The VA presumably has all that information and more. The PVA too possibly?

NEVER give your Social Security number to anyone over the phone unless you initiate the call and it is an agency that you know. Even credit card companies only ask for the last four digits of your SS#.

There are so many scams out there. I made a couple of political contributions and I know my name and info got sold.

Charitable organizations also sell your name and information. Shame but they do.

I check the credit bureau three times a year and look at all bank balances at least once a week.

I've had friends and clients who fell for scams that sounded quite outrageous to me. Some of them lost thousands.

I hate to tell you this - most everything basic about people is/or may be online: name, age, address, phone number, those you live with, former places you lived, relative's names, pictures of your dwelling, last selling price, taxes, etc.

If your car was in the driveway when the Google truck came by, or you were standing in the yard, you can see that, too. For those who value privacy (me), or those who may be mildly paranoid it's a horrid thought and experience to discover it. :-( If you don't want to know, don't check it out! :roll:

We screen all incoming calls. My land-line cordless phone has that option. If I don't know the caller, I record it, then look them up online, either by their name or phone number.

Actually, just assume every unsolicited call is a scam until checked.

We've received scam calls about, but not limited to: Microsoft going out of business owing us a refund; social security errors and Federal tax errors that I owe them money and going to jail if I don't pay the caller immediately via wire; credit card offers to lower interest; vacation trips, etc., etc. All are scams! You can look up FRAUD ALERTS on the internet.

To be entertained by watching scammers getting scammed, look them up on Utube. The language is rough, but seeing them locked out of their own computer or receiving a virus is rewarding. :lol:

Remember - you don't have to feel guilty if you don't answer. Be safe - be wise - don't trust those guys. (Gals neither.)

May blessings abound - B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back