Diagnosis
07/2006
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Bassett
Yesterday in the news it told of a scientist being able to take human cells add the right DNA and make neuron cells for ALS patients. Google Dr. Douglas Melton from Harvard Univeisity. He discovered this by trying to find a cure for his son who is diabetic. He was able to take a cell from a mouse and turn it into a cell that would allow the panceras to creat insulin. Also Christopher Henderson and Kevin Eggan in a collaboration from Columbia-Hardard University were able to take the skin cell of an 82 year old women with ALS and make a neuron cell. This is big news because it skips the whole stem cell theory. No political interferance with the research. I hate to get my hope too high but People I think they are on to something here. It sounds so promising for ALS and other deadly diseases. Has anyone heard about these research studies yet? I would love to hear your comments.

Thought you might be interested.
Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like hope

i wonder how long they have been working on it, sometimes quick answers don't pan out, but here's hoping.

Thanks for the information
i m here for the health related discussion and you have give us a good information
thanks for it

I'm all for it, how do we get a hold of these guys so they can try it on those of us who want it? I am desperately looking for immediate treatment for my brother who has PBP and is looking very sick and I cannot bear the thought of losing him. He just got to the point in his life where he was enjoying vacations and time off and this horrible nightmare happened. I am so desperate for things to be happening now, there just is not much time left!

This, too, was copied directly from PLM (ALS):

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 | Modified: Friday, July 10, 2009
Boston's biotech community leads wave of stem cell consolidation, deal making
Boston Business Journal - by Ron Leuty San Francisco Business Times

A team of influential venture capitalists and medical researchers with strong ties to Boston's biotechnology community is putting cash and top-drawer talent into the new wave of stem cell technology.

IPierian Inc., a South San Francisco company formed with the merger of two venture-backed startups, will focus on manipulating mature stem cells into ones with embryonic-like qualities that can be used to treat neurodegenerative problems like Lou Gehrig's disease.

IPierian - the new company - will be lead by iZumi CEO John Walker, with former Pfizer Inc. executive Corey Goodman as chairman.

IPierian will focus on so-called induced pluripotent stem cells for patients with difficult-to-treat neurodegenerative diseases, like Parkinson's disease, spinal muscular atrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease. Longer term, the company will explore metabolic diseases, cardiovascular diseases and other therapeutic areas.

"Disease-specific pluripotent stem cells are powerful new tools for drug screening and promise to revolutionize the treatment of intractable conditions," said Dr. George Daley, who along with fellow Harvard faculty members Douglas Melton and Lee Rubin were the scientific founders of Pierian.

IPierian's scientific advisory board will be led by Daley, director of stem cell transplantation at Children's Hospital Boston and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Dr. Deepak Srivastava, director of the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease in San Francisco.

Embryonic stem cells are the gold standard of stem cell research because they are pluripotent, capable of developing into heart, muscle, skin or other cells.

Induced pluripotent cells, like those created by Yamanaka, are seen by many as a way to sidestep ethical and political issues associated with extracting stem cells from embryos, but others say they can cause cancer in mice if any of the genes used to reprogram the cells remain active.

OK guys, I'm allowing this post - thread but with a certain amount of skepticism. I've been a member of PLM lbefore most of you ever heard of ALS. While they serve a good purpose, they do allow some advertising and report anything that comes down the internet. We moderate content that we feel is suspect or outdated or just plain trash. I'm skeptical of new companies jumping into the stem cell fray. This announcement is just a rehash of old news but has new names trying to make a buck. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. As Dennis Miller would say.

AL.

I was just thinking the same thing - another BUSINESS venture.

Some may call me skeptical , and I say ... Prove me wrong.

Glen

I too am cautiously optimistic about this relatively recent news...saw related TV segment on Mon. night.

Too much of "medicine/medical care is intertwined with negative aspects of "business"...
However, what I'm doing is focusing my positive thoughts on the possibilities that there will be some significant good to come out of this research.

Let's be hopeful, two Drs who joined the company advisory board are leading scientists in stem cell research. I doubt they would put their names with a "fishy" venture.
It might not work, but otherwise it sounds like a legit deal.

""Dr. Chad Cowan is assistant professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and the Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, and assistant investigator at Stowers Medical Institute. His research focuses on adipogenesis, metabolic disease, and the impact of environmental and genetic factors on the development of disease.

Dr. Konrad Hochedlinger is assistant professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and the Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, principal faculty member at the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and investigator at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Center for Regenerative Medicine. Dr. Hochedlinger is a leader in reprogramming technology and produced the first transgene-free induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells. Most recently, Dr. Hochedlinger received the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) Outstanding Young Investigator Award."

Hi i was dignose with horn cell disease i don't understand what it is. does anyone know what this is or know anything about how it affective you.

Look at the original post - its a year old. What does that tell you .

No cure yet.

thanks glen didnt notice that but will from now on

I think they are two completely unrelated posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back