Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
i thought that i will never post thread like this, but life is unpredictable.

i have a child, girl born 02/17. at that time, i already had onset, but i wasnt aware of it. i'm diagnosed in 09/17. and i'm 50.
i think that my als started in spring/15.
my parents died (mother AD, 87yo, father cancer, 75yo). i do not have anyone with als in my family, but god knows... my parents had old parents, so they did, just like me and my daughters.
when i roll my life back, i remember that medium finger on my father's right hand just dropped. i know, it is not foot, but kind of denervation or something like that it was. he was 70yo at that time. nobody paid attention. didn't hurt, he wasn't complain... maybe it was start of something (als?), but he died of cancer.
q: is it possible that my younger daughter have fals? i mean, can als turn into fals?
as i said, noone remembers that anybody had als in family. this is not certain, cause nobody knew what als is, they lived in a village etc... is it possible that als can emerge from i.e. grandpa to just one grandson? it is unclear line of heritage. m-f-m?? if i have fals (inherited from my grandfather - noone alive saw him and noone knows how he died), is it possible that one my child has fals, the other one - has not?

I don’t think you are FALS. You could request genetic testing if you wanted. For those of us who have the genetic mutation any of our biological children have a 50 percent chance of inheriting the mutation. It does not matter when our symptoms start. The mutation that we have is present from birth

You are basing your concern on the fact you remembered your father seemed to have a weak finger? No one else besides you has had ALS? Highly unlikely

Most of us have multiple relatives in our family tree. There is such a thing as a de novo mutation meaning a person gets it as a genetic accident when conceived but it doesn’t seem that you have a reason to think it happened

just want to say that my elder relatives are unknown to me. we spread all over country, so it is impossible to investigate.
my father's medium finger just dropped. he had a bandage and that is all. this is the only thing which shows some connection with my als, so i ask.
whenever i hear about gene mutation connected with als, i think of possible mutation in my body which (maybe) occured in my life.
i asked my neuro about that, he says: "no rules in fals, can not predict anything. it doesnt have any connection with sex, recesive gens, it is not like baldness etc. it is hard to say when you dont have info from relatives, elders... we are still on clinical status in diagnosing". that's what i've been told.

If you mean your genes changed after your birth no. Barring genetic therapy genes don’t change. Gene expression can but that is not what we are talking about. Do you have a de novo mutation that occurred at conception you don’t know. If you don’t know your family history then who knows? But your parents were elderly and died of other causes. If neither of them had a mutation even if other relatives did them it couldn’t get passed on to you.

Your doctor speaks correctly most FALS is autosomal dominant and equal opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back