Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread here.

I'm six months into this journey and am also skeptical about the Lyme stuff... but with a twist. My ELISA screening was negative, and I'm getting immunoblot [Western Blot] shortly. If both these tests come up negative, that's as far as my Neuro will go with this.

The other reference test, for Borrelia Burdgorferi, by those other two labs - Bowen Research & Igenex - looms out there, but the mainstream med community doesn't accept their results. My Neuro already said he won't request this test for me and "wouldn't even request it for a family member, Tom."

But my lingering questions are these...

What about the concept of "Chronic Lyme?" Seems there's a debate about the very existence of longer term form of classic Lyme that could lay dormant for years... dubbed "chronic lyme." Is there any credence to this?

To me, the als community's hopefull fascination with this seems to be two fold 1) is if such a condition - chronic lyme - is possible, and does exist, could it alone be what has manifested itself in certain people who've been clinically diagnosed with ALS?, and 2) or alternatively, could it be possible to have both chronic lyme and als, and if so, could that AND should that warrant new long term treatments with Ceftriaxone and other lyme drugs already thought to be potentially helpful for ALS anyway.

So, while I doubt a Negative with ELISA, Negative with Western Blot, but Possitive with Bowen or Igenex means the person doesn't have ALS, I'm also not convinced the evidence of Borrelia Burdgorferi they turn up is bogus... and even more importantly, with Ceftriaxone and other Lyme treatments actually believed to be "potentially" helpful for ALS by the mainstream ... unrelated to Lyme... you can't blame pals for looking to these alt Lyme tests, or the existence of chronic lyme, as a potential avenue of access to the "potentially" helpful treatments.

Tom

PS. The ALS Therapy Development Foundation now has a researcher who answers questions on their forum and is very open, honest and by no means tied purely to mainstream beliefs.

He has responded in depth to essentially the same Chronic Lyme questions I raised above. The thread is here:

http://www.als.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=438

His name is:

John McCarty, PhD
Treatment Investigator,
ALS Therapy Development Foundation

Re:

hi. sorry to hear of your fathers diagnosis. how is he doing now if i may ask?

i was wondering what state your father lives in?

[quote:579cf6afbf="upila"]Hello Stacy,
My father was diagn with ALS a year+ ago based on same symptoms. Just now, he also tested positive for Lyme disease (which is a VIRUS caused and treatable). Lyme mimics many of the symptoms ALS has.
It is very important to catch Lyme as early as possible: so do yourself a favor and request from your doctors that they do a Lyme test. If they do not go along, then FIND one who would.
Best,
Upila[/quote:579cf6afbf]

Hi,
Sorry - did not see the post earlier.
Very wooded part of Vermont.
He is doing well, considering first sympt. go back to 2003, ALS diagn 1+ yr ago, and Lyme test positive this Dec,2005.
The hands and left foot have been the most affected, i.e. thumb/index fingerst very weak with muscle between wasted. Can still use hands, 100% self sufficient, but not for fine movements/holding, turning. Strength there, but the two fingers are too weak, almost useless. Walking is OK, but right leg is favored, due to weaker front muscles on the left leg. Everything else is ok. He started on oral antibiotic 2 days ago, after we say the Lyme dr. (drug from the Rocephin family). At this time, we decided on 1/2 the dose until we are comfortable increasing to full dose. He continues to take all the other supplements he has been taking for the past year. Modified the diet to almost completely eliminate everything "starchy or sugary," even though he had been off sweets for a year (occasional temptations...). So, that's it so far. Will post in few weeks when we can ascertain any results from the abx. At this point, we do not care to ponder any longer is it ALS, is it LYME, is it both: going ahead with what we thing we should do ourselves, fortunate enough to have the help of a considerate doctor willing to work with us - so that's the plan. I read everything out there, all forums, experiences and at the end of the day, try to reason and apply to his actual symptoms, responses and possible course of action. For example, since starting the antibiotic, his fasciculations have increased - where prior to, they had subsided natably. So, what does that mean? I have no idea - will look to find some data. Will ask, if anyone else has had these experiences on the Lyme forum.

Upila,

I'm sure you've seen articles like the one below re Bowen:

The Bowen Q-RIBb is not a US FDA approved diagnostic procedure. Some concerns have been raised regarding the 100% positive results found in the Q-RIBb testing. The Bowen web site attempts to address this issue, "All of the patients submitting specimens have clinical signs and symptoms of Lyme disease. We feel the explanation for the positive specimens is that this is no longer just a tick-borne infection. Bb has been found in dogs, cats, Florida and California mosquitoes, well water, breast milk, placental tissue, seminal fluid, and even African dust. It seems reasonable that everyone has been exposed to this very clever bacterium, and some individuals without symptoms may represent a carrier state of Borrelia burgdorferi."

Do you have more info on the 100% positive results?

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back