Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Boston
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying the good weather! Sorry for bothering you all, but I have a few concerns about some symptoms I've been experiencing.

For the past few months, since October, I've been troubled by the following symptoms.

-Slurring of speech that others have commented on.
-Choking on liquids once or twice a day (but not on foods).
-Shortness of breath upon doing simple tasks (such as walking slowly) when this did not used to happen.
-Constantly feeling tired, even after ten or eleven hours of sleep.

I have read all the stickies, but these symptoms were not really addressed in any of them.

I've seen a doctor and a neurologist but neither of them were too concerned because of my age (I'm only 20) and only told me to come back if my symptoms persisted without giving me any examination and diagnosed me with BFS (I have widespread fasciculations).

Could this be bulbar ALS? Should I seek another opinion? I realize how unlikely it is given my age, but I haven't really found anyone with BFS who has these symptoms.

Again, sorry for troubling you guys, and I really appreciate any response you might give me.

How do these symptoms compare to January? An important question is: What has changed?

What did your doctors say since you posted in January?

I honestly can't say if my symptoms have gotten better or worse, which I guess is a good sign. People who would comment on my slurring have said that it hasn't changed since January, and a few people have said that it's gotten better, but I'm not sure if they're just trying to reassure me. Then again, if there was anything they were concerned about, they'd probably take me to the doctor (which they did back in January).

I haven't seen a doctor since January and I'm posting here to see if it'd be a good idea to see another.

Also, I don't know if this is worth posting, but the only thing I've been objectively measuring since October is what I've been able to lift at the gym, which has gone up.

Yeah, CelticsFan, you shouldn't be worrying about ALS.

If you're still feeling poorly, ask a GP medical doctor to try to figure it out. Could be as simple as diet and vitamins, you never know.

Thanks!

I'll see how I feel in a few weeks and if I haven't improved at all I might see a doctor.

I appreciate the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back