Not open for further replies.

pt5005

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
ES
Perhaps i am being like half the people asking the same question when there really is no need to panic, but i am asking for quite a good reason...as you can see from the photo my left hand shows alot more bone than the right and the muscle between the thumb and index finger on the left hand is ever so slightly smaller than the right hand. As far as perceived or clinical weakness i can't say i have experienced it i mean my left arm (And hand) in general is slightly weaker than my right but i assume that's because my dominant side is the right.

The hands do tire quickly however. The reason for asking about the "suspect" atrophy isn't ALS related but rather relates to another condition which runs in my family (DM1 or myotonic dystrophy) both my aunt and uncle had this..as this condition is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern it worries me because although my father doesnt have it he could very well be carrying the pre mutation allele.

So apologies this isnt ALS related but in someway i thought it would be better to ask here as it relates to a concern regarding a neuromuscular disorder and there isnt alot of support groups or forums in regards to DM out there.

Hope someone can put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20211015_192347.jpg
    20211015_192347.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
We really can’t tell much from pictures so you should ask your doctor but fwiw ( very little) it looks ok to me. I will also note that it is entirely normal for one side to be smaller and it is normal for that to be your non dominant side. My non dominant hand was so much smaller that initially one of the neurologists thought it was atrophied. I am leg onset and it was several years before my hands were affected. My weaker hand is my dominant one. It is still a little bigger than the other

The Muscular Dystrophy Association covers both subtypes of myotonic dystrophy pretty extensively on their site. I don't see any similarity between their account of symptoms and what you report.

If you read carefully through this important post it will help you a lot

We also explain in that post why giving us pictures really is not helpful to anyone.

Please see your doctor, you don't mention seeing a doctor which is what anyone suspecting they have a terminal illness should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back