Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Barrie
First of all I want to thank anybody reading/replying to this thread. Taking the time out of your days is very much appreciated!

I'm a 23 year old male, and I first noticed occasional fasciculations about 6 or so months ago but never thought anything of it. Usually in a leg or arm. I can't exactly pinpoint the first time I felt them.

About 3 months ago is when they became more widespread. First under my right eye, then that one went away and they were present in my forearms and calves, then the back of my shoulders. Never in the same spot for more than a few days. And they're always intermittent. A few seconds or minute of minor twitching and then gone. They seemed to get worse as I went to sleep.

I also noticed that if I strike my forearm with my knuckles from my opposite hand, the forearm muscles visibly twitch for a few seconds before returning to normal.

A few nights after that I was unable to breathe and ended up going to see two different doctors on two separate occasions. They did blood work and found no imbalances or deficiencies. They also ran x-rays. Clean. At this point I was also feeling tense muscles in my cheeks for a few days.

3 months later, present day, my fasciculations are much rarer and don't last nearly as long. I have noticed that when I stick my tongue out there is noticeable twitching but none when it's at rest in my mouth. The tenseness in my face is mostly gone however.

When I wake up in the morning I feel like it's harder to clench my fist but that gets better as the day goes on. I work out a few times a week and I haven't noticed any strength loss in my lifts but I've read that fasciculations can precede strength loss by many months.

I have noticed I might be mispronouncing some words recently, but that could also just be me being too conscious of any potential symptoms now.

Overall I've just been anxious about this entire situation and I'd just like some input if any of this sounds like ALS?

Hi Kevin,
not sure if I am reading you correctly - you started with stuff happening, and after some months those things have lessened considerably. However you have somehow decided you must have a rare terminal disease that nearly always affects older people?
Please read this really carefully -

You are not describing anything that would even vaguely suggest ALS.
I think you should get a really thorough check up with your doctor and work through all this with them.
All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back