Loved one DX
Diagnosis
06/2021
Country
SW
City
Ludvika
Hello,

First of all i thank you for your time to answer this question. I know you are not doctors and i greatly appreciate the effort you do in these forums.

Case:
My half brother has ALS at age 52. I have a big family with 6 aunts and 18 cousins. My mother is 71 and does not have ALS atm. My grandparents die at ages 91 and 90 from heart conditions that didnt allow oxygen to the brain. From what i know neither of my aunts, ages from 63 to 73 have ALS or non of my cousins.

What is my possiblity of having als and my niece?

I apologise for asking but i have not gotten a clear answer.

Also i have been having muscle twitching since. I have read the sticky and i have moved on from it. I was diagnosed with Vitamin D and B12 defieciency.

Thanks for your time and apologies for asking.

Extremely extremely small.
if your 1/2 brother is currently diagnosed he should ask for genetic testing it is standard of care really but given zero family history the chance of him having a mutation for ALS are very small. Most ALS is so called sporadic or simplex.

so if he doesn’t have it case closed.

if we assume for the sake of argument he does have a mutation it would be one with low penetrance meaning most people live normal lives with that mutation. Further for you he might got it from the parent you do not share so your theoretical risk is no more than 25 percent of even getting a low penetrant mutation. His child’s risk would be 50 percent. But that is highly unlikely because this isn’t likely to be FALS

Nikki, I thank you for your time and effort in this forums and for answering me. You do amazing work here with a subject that is terrifying. So thank you so much for your work here.

I won't continue this thread and take that answer to heart.

I wish to keep this thread visible at least for me in case I do get health anxiety due to the nature of the days that are to come in the future.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back