Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
cornwall
I had an emg and I had some nerve issues on ncs and one 1+ positive sharp wave on needle part. What can cause these sharp waves?

Thank you I checked it out but didn't see anything regarding positive sharp waves. Did anyone else get these on their emg? I also had low amplitude on my left leg in ncs? NCS and abnormalities common with ALS? Thank you for your time.

This is an automated response:

read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

This is a question for your neurologist. PSW can mean a number of different things, especially important is whether they occur in conjunction with fibrillations or not. It appears you did not have fibs.

Try googling "Are fibrillation potentials and positive sharp waves the same? No."
Although in most cases these two potentials have the same clinical significance, there are at least five different situations in which they do not have an identical meaning: (1) positive sharp waves can be recorded earlier after a peripheral nerve injury than can fibrillation potentials; (2) occasionally, nonclinically significant diffuse positive sharp wave activity may be seen in the absence of fibrillation activity (i.e., "EMG disease"); (3) positive sharp waves may be seen in distal muscles of "normal" subjects without the presence of fibrillation activity or clinical significance; (4) positive sharp waves without fibrillation potentials may be seen following local muscle trauma; and (5) positive sharp waves may be seen alone in some demyelinating polyneuropathies.

So, as you can see, just saying you had one PSW is not nearly enough information. Did you have a recent peripheral nerve injusy or muscle trauma? Do you have any other signs of MG disease or a demyelinating polyneuropathy? Questions for your neuro...

I'm leery of non-neurologists trying to answer technical questions about EMGs. A little education is dangerous. See your neuro.

>See your neuro

Ditto that!

Thank you very much. I did not have any fibrillations. Only one positive sharp wave 1+. My neuro said it was mild and could be related to my multiple tarlov cysts in spine. So they really don't know what it's from. I have been getting head rushes, shaky and severe dizziness but am pretty sure not als symptoms.

I had an emg and I had some nerve issues on ncs and one 1+ positive sharp wave on needle part. What can cause these sharp waves?

Worry when the last line of the report reads :"Findings suggestive of an active motor neuron disease."

Every symptom you have mentioned could be related to the cysts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back