10/2012
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Scituate
Hello,

I am a 43 yr. old woman who has been diagnosed with PLS, with pos emg. Symptoms are weakness and atrophy mainly on left side but right also in thighs and calves, left arm and wrist, hand not working(dropping everything and can't open things, cramping and spasms now spread to neck and shoulders and jaw quivering. Recently this week had another EMG as ALS has been suspected. 2nd EMG came back normal for ALS what does that mean? I am seeing two neuro's and the one that gave the normal said sometime this happens.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am feeling good about this but don't want to get hopes up too much. Seeing other Neuro in two weeks.

PLS is Upper Motor Neuron, and is normally an issue of spasms, cramps, abnormal reflexes...weakness etc...

Atrophy is a LMN sign...but it sounds like your EMG was clear. I guess I'm a bit confused on your original diagnosis. I was told by my neuro that it would be years before she could determine if my issues were PLS or not because it's a clinical diagnosis based on a bunch of signs, rather than something that shows yea or nay in a test.

All that said--clean EMG is a good sign

One of the other problems with EMG's is that they are very operator sensitive. That means that you could have them run by different people and have different results. So the same physician ran both tests, that is a different situation than if they were run by different physicians.
Good luck
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back