Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Burton
My brother needs his bipap which includes oxygen bled into it 24/7 now. I purchased an ac inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter in the car. We have used it one time and it worked well. However, we had to take the bipap machine and the oxygen tank and it is quite an ordeal to handle all that with my brother. Does anyone know of a better way? I've been told a bipap Portable pack is not available at this time.

Hi Hearts and Thoughts -

You can get a small lithium ion battery made just for bipaps - weighs about three pounds. You plug your inverter into the battery, and plug the bipap into the inverter.

You can get it at www.CPAPUSA.com or www.CPAPman.com. Both of these sites carry merchandise for bipap users.

Our battery lasts 10 1/2 hours, we use it every day, and it recharges pretty quickly. It is smaller than a sheet of paper and is about an inch or so thick - sleek and small.

As far as portability - we had a shelf installed on the back of the wheelchair - the battery sits on the shelf, and the bipap sits on the battery - then we strap it all onto the shelf. We hang a small bag over the back of the chair and put the inverter in the bag. VERY convenient and lightweight.

Important information: Most bipap makers do not want you to use the bipap humidifier when on the battery. It is easy to remove - we have no problems without it. Also - the battery time is very dependent on the bipap pressures. Pat is 19 and 6, which her clinic says are quite a lot. You might get even better times on the battery than we get.

Our experience is that no one in our support group has heard of this, and only the pulmonologist knew of it. We found it ourselves in an internet search. Cannot understand why the clinic does not help us with portability - it is so easy! We have been using it for months and are thrilled with it.

Good luck! Beth

Hi again -

Just saw about your need for oxygen. Your wheelchair outfitter can affix a tank holder to your chair. Maybe you are using the small concentrators - I am thinking that can go in a bag slung over the back of the chair - I have seen people doing that.

Does your PALS need oxygen during the day? Pat only has it bled in at night - when her oxygen levels fall during REM sleep. Her oxygen levels are much better whenshe is sitting up.

Ask your pulmonologist about the need for constant oxygen - usually not the case unless there is lung damage from pneumonia, smoking, etc. At any rate - I think it can be handled on the chair.

Take care - Beth

Thanks Beth,

I showed this to my brother but we were going through so many "other" things that we haven't really thought much more about the subject. Actually, that is a great tip and I appreciated it. The manufacturer said they would give the request to their research department. I don't understand why they haven't come up with something already. Mobility is so important and they could have an affect on people's quality of life. I hope they truly do something about it.

Just wanted to thank you for your answer. Hopefully your answer will help others with this issue as well.

sincerely,
Mary Jo

I understand what you are saying about the hassle of moving the bipap from the car into the house and so forth. We have a bipap for the car and one for the house. It is a big relief and all I hav to do is get Mike to the car and hook him up. He can go a while without the bipap but the doctor said 24/7 would be the best to keep the levels down. He sleeps alot and I guess I would too if I had to wear that mask all the time. We had a problem with his nose breaking down and finally got that well and now the plastic at the top that fits against the forehead has started leaving a red spot. He does not have the mask too tight but I guess it is because he has it on for long periods of time. Take care and hang in there. I am retiring at the end of the month so I can be home to care for my honey.

God Bless,
Zina Akin Perry

Bi Pap battery pack/inverter

Hi,

Question? I have been looking over battery packs for my husbands Bi-Pap. They are so expensive! Is there anyone out there that will help me pay for this? Medicare, ALSA, I know that the MDA will not help because I called them. Any suggestions? or do I just have to save our pennies to get one? It will take for ever for me to raise that money!

Sis

Try contacting Stu Millheiser at ALS Guardian Angels. His website is in the Stories of Hope section in the Forums. I believe he has a grant system that might be able to help.

AL.

Battery Pack

Thats a good idea Al. I will do that.

Thank you.....Sis

bipap backup

my husband is on the bi-pap 24/7 and can't go too many minutes without it. we looked into buying the bipap backup but it cost over $800, and medicare would not pay for it. said it was a 'luxury'. so we bo' a marine cell battery and charger from walmart for
$300 and a converter from medical supply co., for $100 and have it sitting under his
hosp. bed charging at all times in case the lights go out again.

unfortunately, horace is bedfast and can no longer ride in the car, but his bipap
sits on a rolling table by his bed and the oxygen machine that is in our bedrooom
is fed by a long line into the machine. the line lies on the floor between the two rooms
and is connected together to make the length work.

hope this helps.

jackiemax

Makes you wonder who the powers-that-be are that decide what is a luxury at Medicare! Are those with compromised health just supposed to hold their breath during a power outage?

Thanks for all the ideas. We were wondering about this also.

Congress

Someday.....I promise, to go to Congress in Washington on behalf of all the things Medicare does not allow for our poor PALS. If they walked in our shoes they would vote to pass laws that Medicare must pay for equipment needed for quality of life for ALS patients.

quality of life

Someday.....I promise, to go to Congress in Washington on behalf of all the things Medicare does not allow for our poor PALS. If they walked in our shoes they would vote to pass laws that Medicare must pay for equipment needed for quality of life for ALS patients.

Reading this makes me cry. It is just SO unjust! that someone would even have to go to Congress for this! My heart aches for my husband and all PALS. This disease is horrible enough ...why do we have to jump through hoops for basic equipment?

Luxury.....unbelieveable.

ALS Guardian Angels

Thank you Al for suggesting this group to me! I wrote and asked for a grant concerning this equipment for Don and they have awarded the grant! I cried as I read the email... People's love and generosity here is amazing to me.

God Bless,

Sis

Glad to hear Stu was able to help. They haven't been running too long so I am glad they had funds available.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back