Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Wakeman
Does anyone with ALS notice that their joints pop and crack a lot more than they did before the onset of the disease?

Conrad

Nope. Not seen that.

No, but I guess it makes sense. As our muscles atrophy they don't give our joints the support they require. I can see this happen.

Dick's joints popped and creeked all the time. They still do that now.
Thanks,
Phyl

joints poping and snapping

Yes, not all the time, but much more often then I like. I don't hear of this complaint to often, though from others. But I did read about a neurologist who has als and he said one of his first symptoms was his knee poping when jogging.

I don't get any popping and never got anymore than usual. My knee joints would pop even as a kid.
AL.

From what I have learned "joints popping is incorrect". It is actually the tendons snapping over the muscle as since this disease is deteriorating your body the muscles and tendons don't work in rhythym as they once did. Kind of like a guitar string being picked if you can imagine the tendon making that popping sound. I get it as well, not sure why some people don't.

When snap, crackle, pop is not a cereal?

I use to have the snap, crackle, pop, every morning in my knees. It was so loud you could hear it across the room. Since I have lost muscle mass it has pretty much stopped, plus not walking. It was weird it only happened first thing in the morning when I got out of bed. After about 15 minutes of walking it would go away. It felt like my knee joint was where the popping was coming from, but I agree it was probably just the tendons.

At times it was so loud almost like snapping your fingers and it would wake my wife up. I would tell her to go back to sleep, it was just dem bones, dem bones trying to walk around.

God Bless
Capt AL

BWk said:
Yes, not all the time, but much more often then I like. I don't hear of this complaint to often, though from others. But I did read about a neurologist who has als and he said one of his first symptoms was his knee poping when jogging.

Hi BWk,

That's very interesting to hear. My right knee pops every time I stand up. I also have popping in my neck, shoulders, and other joints. I never had this happen before my symptoms started. I'm going to see my Neurologist next Tuesday, and make sure I tell him about this. Thanks to everyone that posted on my thread.

Conrad

I think my father's joints crack or pop a lot--like when I am moving his arms or legs. He says it doesn't hurt. It's like his arms and legs are only loosely attached! The popping doesn't seem to be a problem, but I try to only pull very gently when trying to move him.

After seeing two GP's, and two Neurologists, two times each, I wanted another opinion. So, I made an appointment with a Neurologist at University Hospital, for the 3rd of July. They take me in, and all I get to see is nurse practitioner! He has me take my shirt off, and looks for atrophy. I've lost 30 pounds in the last year, and he says there is no muscle atrophy! It is so obvious, you would have to be blind not to see it. He then tested me reflexes, has me touch my fingers to my nose, checks my eyes, and has me walk back in forth in the room (I have a very difficult time walking, and it is obvious to anyone).

He then starts rambling about what it could be (ALS, Stiff Man syndrome, motor neuropathy, and depression). I could not believe he said it could be depression. Does depressing cause muscle atrophy? Does it cause breathing problems? Does it cause fasciculations? Does it cause my nasal sounding voice, and my swallowing problems? I'm on Cymbalta right now, and the only depression I have is because I can't do the things I like anymore.

I asked him about my popping and cracking joints, and all he said was that was normal. Well, it wasn't normal for me a year ago. This guy was useless. I demanded to see a Neurologists, so I will see their top Neuro on the 9th of July. Sorry I couldn't get an answer about the popping and cracking joints, but this guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Well, anyway, hopefully I can find some answers with the new Neurologist, and Happy 4th of July to everyone. I'm sorry to say mine won't be a happy one.

Conrad

Sorry Conrad, I think we all have run into those types before. It is so dumb, or should I say they are so dumb. Such a terrible waste of our time.
Let me give you a classic example: When I was around 19 years old I had a strong pain in my right side. I had seen on tv where if you mashed on the right side and let up fast and it hurt real bad it was probably your appendix.

So I was taken to the emergency room at the hospital and when the "doctor" came into to examine me he said, What seems to be the problem?" I said well I guess it's time for my appendix to come out because it hurts really bad.

The "Doctors" reply, "Look I'm the doctor here and I'll tell you what is wrong, not you tell me". He listened to my belly and said I had gas to go home. They sent me home which was 45 minutes away from the hospital and an hour later I was back at the emergency room because my appendix had ruptured. Blood Poison had set in and I spent several days in the hospital.

Moral of the story, some "Doctors" do not want you to tell them what is wrong with you or diagnose yourself. They want to play god all by themselves, because they are taught that way of thinking in Medical school. I can say that because my youngest son is an ER Doctor and I know the attitude he was taught. It's a shame.

Good luck with your next visit. It might help to write down all the symptoms before you go in and give them to him to read. Who knows what works with some of them.

God Bless
Capt AL

Maybe a Get Tough Policy?

Maybe we should go into the appointment with a recorder in one hand and say," Doctor I hope you don't mind, but I'm recording this examination and your response at the request of my attorney." :evil:

Naw, I guess not, but I like the idea. A LITTLE TOUGH LOVE DOC. Or payback for all the $@##$@ you put me through.

God Bless
Capt AL

P.S. Yes I know I'm weird, that's why my wife married me, she was bored.

Capt Al - remember after my wacky neuro appt. you suggested taking a baseball bat with me the next time?! I thought that was a great suggestion. And I have seen at least three great stories out of you lately.....keep 'em coming, you brighten the board.

Conrad - my wacko neuro jumped around the room holding his roll of belly fat telling me that he didn't get all bent out of shape when his body changed and neither should I! And he wasn't the PA or NP, he was one of the top docs. Hold on for the 9th, maybe you'll get some answers then. Good luck~Leslie

Gotta laugh or Cry: Choose

Maybe Conrad may need both. Sounds like someone needs to get their attention. Nothing like a little batting practice to open your eyes, or close them as the case may be. :-D

Going to see my Neuro today. She is great. She is paralyzed in a wheelchair from skiing accident, so she can relate to us a lot better than most. I was blessed to get her. She can only work like 3 days a week, but boy she makes me feel like she understands and spends as much time with me as I need.

A good example was one of my family doctors was refusing to give me any valium to help me sleep and for the spasms. She said the least thing we can do is make you as comfortable as possible through this disease.

The last thing she is worried about is me getting addicted to drugs or something. It is so great to finally have a doc who can understand, geeez, I do not even know how to put it into words. It brings tears to my eyes when I think how the rest of you are fighting so hard to try to get what I have been blessed with, a Doctor who listens, cares, and helps..

I've been on narcotics for the past 18 years due to having chronic low back pain that came from an airplane accident in Alaska. I've been to many pain management clinics, and years of Psychological therapy to learn how to deal with the pain.

I've seen so many doctors and had so many tests it isn't even funny. One doctor stood out from the rest. He was a neuro surgeon, about 17 years ago he had run a battery of tests on me to see if he could operate, I had back surgery the year before the accident, he could not do anything except give me this advice, "You know theses guys in India can lay on a bed of nails and it does not hurt them. Because they believe in their minds that they feel no pain, so therefore they don't. That's all you need to do is believe, in your mind, you are not hurting and you won't be hurting" :twisted: Where is my ball bat when I need it? Been there done that over and over.

So I feel your pain, aggravation, frustration, and depression that you are not able to get the message across.

May this visit be different, by God's grace I pray.

God Bless
Capt AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back