Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Louis
For me, it's been a little over two weeks since diagnosis and all the tests, and I'm not sleeping well. Don't know if this is a common problem and whether it will ease as time goes on. Certainly, I tire easily. I have left sided leg and arm weakness and no breathing issues... yet.

I don't know if advice on this would help, but maybe someone can share experiences good or bad.

Bob

My husband and I didn't sleep well for months after diagnosis. For me it was just that when my body relaxed my mind would not. Its gotten easier most nights. My husband takes meds. Not all the time. Just when he needs to. Its hard. Its still very new for you. Its a very stressful time.

I take 1/3 of an 0.50 mg tab of Xanax right before bed and sleep through the night. If I don't then I can't sleep.

Amytriptyline ( elavil) works well too. It is a non narcotic, anidepressant and pain reliever, also helps with emotional lability, and drys out the mouth, which helps control excessivr drooling, and it helps with sleep. It is a good drug for PALS

Hi Bob,

Don't think it's unusual that you're not sleeping- I didn't either. Who can with one's mind racing?

I was given Ativan (.05mg) to take the edge off- one itsy bitsy pill did the trick for me. After a couple of good nights, I was fine. Occasionally, I take a Benadryl for sleep.

I'm left side affected too- breathing OK- but not what it used to be!

I'm with Ms. Pie. I take a half to a whole 0.5 Xanax at night to help me sleep. I was diagnosed in August and my mind won't turn off & my muscle twitching goes crazy at night.

Bob I am sorry that you have to be here, and that you aren't sleeping. In our household we swear by Magnesium Citrate which is over the counter. Mention it to your doctor and get his opinion. It helps relax muscles, is great for restless legs, and you will never suffer from constipation when taking it. A very natural supplement that many people are lacking in their systems. My husband has lots of trouble sleeping, uses a CPAP, has restless crampy legs and it has been like night and day the relief he gets from a couple of capsules of Magnesium Citrate before bedtime.

Laurel

Bob I meant to say that the other suggestions such as Elavil, Xanax, Ativan are all good--just meant that perhaps in the beginning something mild might be enough to take the edge off. I am a fan of Elavil too as it is multi-purpose and will help with the depressed feelings too. Take care.
Laurel

I will try that for me Laurel. My not sleeping is getting bad. I wake up at 4am, and can not get back to sleep. I am up til midnite with taking care of Les. My alarm clock is set for 7:30, but i never sleep that long

Lori I think you will find it really helps. For years I have awakened every couple of hours during the night--very poor sleeper. If I take two Magnesium Citrate capsules before bed I sleep through. I have done a lot of reading about it and it one of the safest things out there--no addiction and really you will never be constipated again if you take it daily. Good luck!

Laurel

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My neurologist only recommended herbal tea. Not much help. I may ask my family doctor.

Having worked pharmacy business I am not anti-pill. I did take a Lunesta, Xanax, and and 2 tizanidine. Invariably wake up at 3 take another 4 milligrams of tizanidine and another Xanax. That gets me the 8 and a half hours of sleep I need. I also take half a tablet Mestinon 3 times a day after meals for the fatigue and really helps me. It's generic and cheap and very low on the side effects scale. Worth asking neurologist about. Hope this helps.
Holly

Why don't you concert with your doctor? As He/she knows your case history and would be better able to suggest you medicine according to that.

I struggle with sleep too, and some of that may be down to breathing problems, but I've been interested in the melatonin supplements many of my friends swear by. I'm due for another Amazon.com visit here soon to order more of my usual supps and I may just throw the melatonin in the cart and give it a shot. It's mild and natural, so I'm thinking it would be a safe thing to test out. I hope you're finding some remedies that help you. Let us know what works.

My neurologist also mentioned a melatonin supplement (along with the herbal tea). So I will look for that along with magnesium citrate the next time I am out. I'll also put in a call to my GP about the prescription sleep aids. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back