Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I am so glad I can read the post his new

Can't tell you how happy I was to see a thread around poop! After trying to decide how I could dress the question up while trying to be politically correct if you will, I decided just to search for the word poop and here we are!
So with that said, I have a question… My mother who was diagnosed in November 2013 has for about the last 6 months had several times where she will say that she needs to poop, however once we get her in there, she doesn't. The times this happens has seemingly gotten more frequent. I started wondering if there's something that happens with ALS that may make you feel like you have the urge to go but in fact you don't. She has had more accidents in the last six months as well which makes me wonder if she is beginning to second-guess whether or not she needs to go and then by the time she realizes that she does and we transfer her to her wheelchair and to the toilet it's too late. My brother, uncle, nurse, and myself take care of her and have all experienced the same scenario but my uncle mentioned it to my brother and I to see if we had experienced the same thing with her and she got very defensive, stating she doesn't do that! She even text me saying that comment pissed her off. I didn't want to add insult to injury by saying that it does happen and often. So I guess I'm just wondering if there is some type of medical reason that this would be happening. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

As the nerves start to go, voluntary muscle control also goes. So, bowel and bladder control can go. My husband would have sudden urges, sometimes leakage. He would go and it would just be wet gas sometimes..others explosive diarrhea.

No one wants to really admit this is happening. Your mom may also have some cognitive decline. Many als patients have it but it doesnt reach a FTD diagnosis.

What is happening with your mum is normal for ALS as her muscles are failing.

It may be worth discussing some details of her care away from her as she may feel quite paranoid about some things that are happening to her.

I'm finally able to log on again. Was having trouble but now I can. Anyway my hubby has to use the bedpan now to. He gets mad, but I cannot physically lift him anymore. He is too week. Legs collapse and I have been injured myself yesterday trying to lift him. I said no more, for safety he needs to use bedpan. But he needed to go again tonight and was mad, wanted toilet. I said no, bedpan.,so after awhile I hoyered him into bed, he lite kicked me 4 times refusing to go to bed. I said I will put the tv on, and if you need bed pan you are set for it. Anyway it's almost time for pills and Ned anyway. Help please he kept kicking me and said **** you like 3 times. For someone who can't barely speak at all, he sure can stil, swear perfectly. He also has a foley catch in so moving him to toilet was also a problem with that being careful not having it pulled out. And no to anyone who asks if I get help, the answer is no, we only have hospice RN come 1 time a week for supplies and vitals. I. So sick of this disease and being treated this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back