Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
OR
City
Albany
Hi All!

My mother bulbar als diagnosed 06' and tube fed for 2 years now, is having a hell of a time today with saliva. We suction and it pools right up again, over and over. This degree of saliva has not happened before. Anyone have any ideas? We do all of the things to slow saliva production, wondering if it is a symptom of something else. Any ideas help and are appreciated.

Love to All
Holly

Hi Holly,

My mom took a medicine called Hyoscyamine Sulfate Elixar for her saliva.... she also had bulbar als and a feeding tube. You can get it in a liquid form also......we found that this one worked the best for her saliva. I hope this will help.:razz:

Take care,
Debra

Holly ... I think it's just another bulbar symptom getting worse. It drives me up the wall. I wear a Scop patch behind my ear, and it does cut down the salivation rate, but anything I put in my mouth starts it up again. Does your mother do any mouth feeding? Along with the Scop patch, I try to take a Musinex to thin out the saliva, but Musinex is almost impossible to swallow even with applesauce, etc., and it can't be crushed as it's time release.

I've heard that some people experience wierd side effects from the Scop, but ask your neuro ... I'm sure there are other things that work.

Thank you both for the help. No mom doesn't do any mouth feeding anymore. We have been going for walks inside the mall the last couple of days and that seems to have helped rather than bundling up and going outside. who knows, with this disease! You all hang in there. You are loved and prayed for.

Love,
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back